Tomato wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reprobate

Reaction score
Morning, I have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and I know tomato wine is a thing.. has anyone made it? Is it worth it? Does it taste like pizza in a bottle? 😳

Morning, I have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and I know tomato wine is a thing.. has anyone made it? Is it worth it? Does it taste like pizza in a bottle? 😳
I’ve tried growing tomatoes for the first time this year, have around 10 plants of various varieties in a polytunnel style greenhouse, but they don’t seem to be doing very well, only one plant showing signs of fruit.

I’ve tried growing tomatoes for the first time this year, have around 10 plants of various varieties in a polytunnel style greenhouse, but they don’t seem to be doing very well, only one plant showing signs of fruit.
I have 3 plants which are over 6ft tall and full of fruit, I’ve just picked 2.5kg off them so they are going to be either soup, tomato cooking sauce or maybe I’ll kick off a Demi of tomato wine as a test brew!

I have 3 plants which are over 6ft tall and full of fruit, I’ve just picked 2.5kg off them so they are going to be either soup, tomato cooking sauce or maybe I’ll kick off a Demi of tomato wine as a test brew!
Mine are all ranging from 4 to 6 feet high, some have flowered and one has fruit. I’ve put it down to being a beginner and basically fumbling my way though it.

Mine are all ranging from 4 to 6 feet high, some have flowered and one has fruit. I’ve put it down to being a beginner and basically fumbling my way though it.
Go down to your local riding stables next spring and get yourself a few bags of well rotted manure, it’s usually free and fabulous stuff! My neighbour who taught me a lot of gardening stuff swears by it calling it black gold! It certainly does the trick and all plants love it!

Go down to your local riding stables next spring and get yourself a few bags of well rotted manure, it’s usually free and fabulous stuff! My neighbour who taught me a lot of gardening stuff swears by it calling it black gold! It certainly does the trick and all plants love it!
That reminds me of when i was a young nipper, my old man used to make me follow what we called the “rag and bone man” who came round the streets on a horse and cart. I used to follow him around till the horse had a **** and i used to shovel it into a sack and take it home and get some pocket money. try getting todays kids to do that.

As 95% of a tomato is water I would be just making passata. Use you parsnips or rhubarb for wine.

That reminds me of when i was a young nipper, my old man used to make me follow what we called the “rag and bone man” who came round the streets on a horse and cart. I used to follow him around till the horse had a **** and i used to shovel it into a sack and take it home and get some pocket money. try getting todays kids to do that.
I used to do that with my grandad who had an allotment at Handsworth in Sheffield. Rag n bone man didn’t really do the rounds there but there was a riding stables close by so he had a barrow (barra) home made for the purpose of collection horse poo ready to be delivered to the ‘muck eeep’ to rot down! Usually any stables/livery has a muck heap with well rotted manure to take for free, just get some bags (I save compost bags) and go there with your shovel and fork and fill them up. Must be well rotted though, fresh stuff is no good as there are too many nitrates in it.

I used to do that with my grandad who had an allotment at Handsworth in Sheffield. Rag n bone man didn’t really do the rounds there but there was a riding stables close by so he had a barrow (barra) home made for the purpose of collection horse poo ready to be delivered to the ‘muck eeep’ to rot down! Usually any stables/livery has a muck heap with well rotted manure to take for free, just get some bags (I save compost bags) and go there with your shovel and fork and fill them up. Must be well rotted though, fresh stuff is no good as there are too many nitrates in it.

I haven't heard the word barra for years! Love it! My dad was a miner so he used to get the 'barra' out quite often, usually when we had a tonne of coal dumped on the doorstep 😂

Most of my family either worked on the railway or ‘darn pit’ when I was growing up in 70s Sheffield, and me and my mate used to help his dad shovel the anthracite delivery into bags then stow it in the ‘coil owse’ good times, don’t think I’ll bother with the tomato wine experiment though, general feedback seems to be don’t bother 🤣

Latest posts

Back