Too much froth from my keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

europeanbob

Reaction score
Just started sampling the second ale from my cheap Wilko plastic keg and just like the first it comes out under so much pressure that it's all froth and by the time it's settled all the fizz has gone from the glass. I understand that if I release the cap it won't froth as much but then it will go off in a couple of days. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I put 80g of granulated in 23 litres of Wilko Golden Ale.

Won't go off. C02 is heavier than air so will blanket the brew.

K

I have had a similar problem with this exact brew. I will defo try using less priming sugar next time (although not helpful for your current situation!). I have heard that some people use a length of hose to try and reduce the amount of froth, i just found i had to pour it as slowlt as possible into a tilted glass and let it settle for a minute or so. Recently however i have had more success by pre-chilling the glass as that seems to settle the beer. I have just whacked it into the freezer for ten mins or so before pouring.

Hope that helps

I'm also having the same problem.. There is a huge frothy head but not many bubbles in the glass would love to know if it can be sorted although im of the mind that as long as it tastes good im happy.

I did the same priming which I believe is what the instructions say. I know how frustrating this is, not such a deal with the ale but I have a lager in a barrel that could do with more bubbles.
I know I've been no help but its nice to know im not the only one with this problem.

Thanks for the feedback, reassuring to know that others have the same problem. Can anyone explain when the co2 adapters and bulbs should be used. If I cracked the keg top for a session then topped up the pressure again with a co2 bulb would I retain the carbonation?

whoa hang on. releasing the top will also release the pressure, which you want to keep in there!

the first 4 pints or so are always frothy, these are value kegs so they're a bit rough round the edges but they do the job! You need to put your beer somewhere cool for a few weeks if it's pressurized but not fizzy - the cool absorbs the bubbles into the beer.

co2 bulbs you can use when your pressure runs out (usually the 10 pint mark for me or so,) that will give you serving pressure so your beer stays fresh and carbonated :thumb:

Latest posts

Back