Too much sugar!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will B

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a basic Q - but in making a homebrew kit (Festival - Father Hook's) recently, I discovered in error that if I put 100g of sugar in at start it really improved flavour. So was going to do this again but for some idiotic reason put 500g in by mistake. It is fermenting fine I think. Have I ruined the brew? I suppose time will tell but any thoughts appreciated! Thank you, Will PS photo 24hra after adding yeast...

Attachments

• 16307688022898048026212391731446.jpg
    16307688022898048026212391731446.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 28
All that adding 500g of sugar will do is kick the ABV out from ~4.5% to ~5.5%. It is not adding any "flavour", just "buncing" the ABV. I used to add a similar 500g to Wherry kits and was pleased with the results. Two can kits made pretty decent beer, so worry not!

You will have bumped up the ABV by maybe 1% but I really doubt you will have ruined it, heck while not the best beer in the world some 1 can kits made with a kilo of sugar are perfectly drinkable.

I have played around with increasing Abv using sugars and extract. Worked well and although the flavours and body weren't affected at all, the greater amount of sugar or extract added seemed to make the beer taste very dry.

Adding lots of sugar or sugar based adjuncts like honey/golden syrup will dry out the beer as they are more fermentable than standard wort and will convert virtually fully so no sugars are left to "sweeten" the beer

Back