Travel / Transport

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66543302
I found it interesting that one of the reasons given was new 20mph limits. Whilst that is a third slower than 30mph I didn't think it would make that much of an impact because picking up passengers is the factor that slows a journey more surely and there are less passengers using public transport since covid. Or is it a whinge to get more grants to run a service? Maybe on some routes with stops close together in urban areas you may not even get to 30mph until it's time to brake for the next stop. I'd love to know if any number crunching was done or is another (un)intended consequence?

It's painfully slow to stick to but I try my best, not everyone is though I have seen people doing around 40mph through the new 20 zones.

I heard a comment that it makes it hard for pedestrians to cross because all the traffic backs up close behind the one person that sticks to the limit

I wonder if some of these 20mph zones also have historical speedbumps as well or are having them installed? or is going to be the new revenue winner with cameras to follow

I could never take a speed hump in a 30 zone at 30 so heavens knows what a hump In a 20 could be like, climbing Everest.? There are a few humped roads near me where I can keep up with the flow of traffic yet I still get idiots trying to overtake me.

As for ambulances carrying spinal injuries its more risky these days getting into hospital safely unless you happened to suffer such an accident on a hump free route.

All our school zones are 20 which is a good thing...and speed bumped...and some places chicaned. So,you can't speed through them...well I have seen one idiot keep left and mount the kerb right through!
20 in all previous 30 zones will not reduce pollution or speeding..it'll probably increase. It will wreck your car,ruin the roads if they increase the speed humps and drive away tourism.
I bet they have convoys of speed vans waiting for this.

All our school zones are 20 which is a good thing...and speed bumped...and some places chicaned. So,you can't speed through them...well I have seen one idiot keep left and mount the kerb right through!
20 in all previous 30 zones will not reduce pollution or speeding..it'll probably increase. It will wreck your car,ruin the roads if they increase the speed humps and drive away tourism.
I bet they have convoys of speed vans waiting for this.
A motorbike would cut through a lot of those measures and no front number plate to be zapped by a camera van but the two stroke engines aren't exactly clean compared to a car. more unintended circumstances? What I did agree with was the 20/30 limits on way up through mid wales so 20mph when lights are flashing. otherwise at 10pm for example 30mph.

Better to slap down a blanket limit on the plebs as we don't want them to travel anyway that's the mindset I feel from our welsh leaders.

transport & travelling is evil. It's a shame they couldn't mandate to ensure WFH was a right dependent on the job of course after covid passed.

Well any service has to cover its costs and anything that reduces the utilisation and the timetable increases operating costs. Slowing down the travel time means some bus stops might have to be dropped to maintain the timetable slots at the main bus depots and stations and to maintain manpower based on their working time limitations, also you want to be increasing frequencies and slowing the service down decreases services.

I’ve given up trying to second guess the real motives behind decisions my local council take. More often than not they defy logic and seem to be determined to work against people than for them. Not sure what the thinking is (though I don’t hold out much hope there is much thinking that goes on), but I’m pretty sure it involves the passing around of brown envelopes somewhere along the line….

A local Councillor once objected to planning permission for a harvester to replace an eyesore of a grubby old truck yard with old wrecks in it. Perhaps he thought it would mean HIS local watering hole would close due to competition. everyone else welcomed the harvester. So there appears to be no rhyme or reason for a lot of initiatives coming from those in power who ideally should have a bit of common sense at least.

Doesn't dropping the speed limit to 20mph markedly reduce the number of fatalities from RTAs? I'm pretty sure thats the reason for it.

Doesn't dropping the speed limit to 20mph markedly reduce the number of fatalities from RTAs? I'm pretty sure thats the reason for it.

I don't have any facts but in our town you rarely hear of crashes including pedestrians being hit, on the A590 either side of the town we have crashes almost weekly maybe a lower limit in these accident blackspots would do more good than a blanket 20 mph ban in town.

The new town beetle from VW
1692868782512.png

Latest posts

Back