Trying to cross over to the dark side.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moderators
This thread seems to have been hacked by the star wars anorak society.
Maybe because they were embarrassed by a heartfelt plea from one of the lower caste of the home brewing community, forced by circumstances to consider plastic kettles, whilst a few contributors of this bored seem to worship at the altar of huge big shiny expensive things.
Come on the plastic brigade, raise your voices, and do not be afraid to help a fellow plastic brewer gain some confidence in his equipment.
Maybe we could start a new forum, what about the “PPlastic homebrew forum”
Rant over

cnocell.gif

OK. Lots of people use plastic FVs as boilers. I don't, but so many people do that they must be ok. Take precautions if you are nervous. Keep the volume down, boil outside. You will only really gain confidence by using it, I'd suggest. If you can't get the confidence together, buy something else when you can afford it. :thumb:

Moderators
This thread seems to have been hacked by the star wars anorak society.
Maybe because they were embarrassed by a heartfelt plea from one of the lower caste of the home brewing community, forced by circumstances to consider plastic kettles, whilst a few contributors of this bored seem to worship at the altar of huge big shiny expensive things.
Come on the plastic brigade, raise your voices, and do not be afraid to help a fellow plastic brewer gain some confidence in his equipment.
Maybe we could start a new forum, what about the “PPlastic homebrew forum”
Rant over

I think your making an assumption the moderators and the star wars anorak society are two different things

May the Farce be with you ;-)

Mr mirsultankhan you are a 5 star bloke.
That is the exact same fermenter/boiler as mine. I somehow missed this in my search, although I reckon I’ve been almost everywhere else.
this particularly raised my spirits- “the PP plastic can take the boiling temp”
Keep your feedback coming guys, not only of this fermenter, but of home build plastic fermenters /boilers in general.

I’m beginning to enjoy life again.

Yes no need to stress PP can take it! :cheers:

OK. Lots of people use plastic FVs as boilers. I don't, but so many people do that they must be ok. Take precautions if you are nervous. Keep the volume down, boil outside. You will only really gain confidence by using it, I'd suggest. If you can't get the confidence together, buy something else when you can afford it. :thumb:

I think lord vader made the helmets and other parts of the stormtroopers attire out of the recycled Fv's of kit brewers :eek:

I've only ever used commercial plastic boilers but I have never had a worry about it. If you are that concerned you could always brew in a Hutt (I'll get my coat)

Quick update
Test drive 2 on both elements with 17.5 litres of cold water.
Came to the boil in 25 minutes and maintained a good rolling boil for 31 minutes on one element (just had to stop at this stage for a stiff drink)
All good, no leaks.
Lost 2 litres during this time, does this sound about right?
I’ve yet to fit the ballvalve ( see my previous thread, 50 views, no response)
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55144
Please respond, I’m hoping to order ingredients for my first A.G next week and need to tweak some things before I can finally go for it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick update
Came to the boil in 25 minutes and maintained a good rolling boil for 31 minutes on one element (just had to stop at this stage for a stiff drink)
All good, no leaks.
Please respond, I’m hoping to order ingredients for my first A.G next week and need to tweak some things before I can finally go for it.

Seems about right about the volume, is that the volume you expect to be boiling ? you'll probably end up with about 11-12 litres of wort

A word of caution with views v responses mate. At any given time you will find between 2/3 and 3/4 of people on the site are visitors rather than members, who might not have the ability or feel inclined to respond! Hopefully now the responses you have had from the membership has helped you out!

Quick update
All good, no leaks.

:D

Give yourself up to the dark side. Do not fear the grain. The universe is vast, but the mashtun is small, and easily tamed. And you can use a bag anyway. Your wort might be dark, or it might be light. The choice is yours. And you may unleash the hops. Join us, for the future belongs to us, who dare to mash, sparge and boil. Only the weak continue with the tins, living forever in hope, but never in total fulfillment. Unable to take the tiny step to grainy ecstasy, for reasons known only to themselves.

I'll have a pint of what you've just had !

Latest posts

Back