Turbo cider #2..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholx

Reaction score
after being dissapointed with my first cider attempt, ive finally started to really enjoy it just by adding an inch of lemonade before pouring it into the glass.. with the added sweetness it is a really nice drink..

so we was in aldi the other day and i saw the apple juice and thought sod it ill have another go, i thought i would make another batch but play about with it

the last batch tbh was too strong and too dry even though i did add stevia sweetner into the fv.. the og of the apple juice i use is 1.050 and when fermented it dropped down to 1.000 making it 6.5%.. and very dry, i am after something i can sit down with at night and have 3-4 pints of without thinking about it, so i wanted to get the abv down and the sweetness up.

so.. i decided to replace 4 litres of apple juice with diet lemonade in a 23ltr batch to try and make the finished cider sweeter out of the bottle, also i quite liked the lemon twist, and have decided that iam and not too fussed about a strawberry/raspberry/fruity flavour, and while this isnt exactly revolutionary i thought i would give it go..

so cider #2 was made a couple of days ago and started fermenting within about 12 hours and is happily bubbling away

i used

19ltrs of aldi apple juice
4ltrs of boiled diet lemonade
3 teapsoons of pectolase
youngs cider yeast

sg was 1.038 so if it ferments to 1.000 it'l be about 4.9%.. so anywhere between 4.5% and there would be a good result

and thats it... dunno what it will be like, but ive got the bottles ready!!

lemonade sounds interesting, keep us posted, I'm gonna do a straight AJ next time no flavouring (for me) and gonna try another with a bottle of rasp lowicz in the fermentation and back sweeten with sucralose for the missus

just out of interest how much sweetener did you ad to the fv on your first time round? i did cider with a SG of 1.050 and a FG of about 1.005 and turned out not to bad, wasnt overly dry but i still added some sweetener but just to each bottle when i was bottling.

just out of interest how much sweetener did you ad to the fv on your first time round? i did cider with a SG of 1.050 and a FG of about 1.005 and turned out not to bad, wasnt overly dry but i still added some sweetener but just to each bottle when i was bottling.

not enough.. :lol: , i think it was 6 teaspoons of stevia in 23 litres, so not alot really.. not sure it made any difference at all tbh

yeah i put like 1-2 tea spoons in each 500ml bottle, so maybe that was too much but didnt turn out too bad.

anyway let us know how your next try turns out!

Now this sounds interesting definitely keep us posted , cheap have you took a stab at the TC with squash ? That should work wonders for the other half !

Not yet Mrc, work n life keep knocking holes in my plans! once the three DJ's I've got on the go atm (two wows and one earl grey tea) are finished, I'll have room to try others, I'm already taking up a lot of worktop space!

I'm on with my second turbo cider now after a successful first batch I just used Aldi apple juice and lalvin ec-1118 yeast . It turned out at 4.9% and quite dry ,but to my taste.

Not yet Mrc, work n life keep knocking holes in my plans! once the three DJ's I've got on the go atm (two wows and one earl grey tea) are finished, I'll have room to try others, I'm already taking up a lot of worktop space!

earl gray?? how does that work you have peaked my interest?

Sorry my mistake, its not earl grey :nono:

its his missus, lady grey :thumb:

same as tea bag wine really but with lady grey tea bags.

after being dissapointed with my first cider attempt, ive finally started to really enjoy it just by adding an inch of lemonade before pouring it into the glass.. with the added sweetness it is a really nice drink..

so we was in aldi the other day and i saw the apple juice and thought sod it ill have another go, i thought i would make another batch but play about with it

the last batch tbh was too strong and too dry even though i did add stevia sweetner into the fv.. the og of the apple juice i use is 1.050 and when fermented it dropped down to 1.000 making it 6.5%.. and very dry, i am after something i can sit down with at night and have 3-4 pints of without thinking about it, so i wanted to get the abv down and the sweetness up.

so.. i decided to replace 4 litres of apple juice with diet lemonade in a 23ltr batch to try and make the finished cider sweeter out of the bottle, also i quite liked the lemon twist, and have decided that iam and not too fussed about a strawberry/raspberry/fruity flavour, and while this isnt exactly revolutionary i thought i would give it go..

so cider #2 was made a couple of days ago and started fermenting within about 12 hours and is happily bubbling away

i used

19ltrs of aldi apple juice
4ltrs of boiled diet lemonade
3 teapsoons of pectolase
youngs cider yeast

sg was 1.038 so if it ferments to 1.000 it'l be about 4.9%.. so anywhere between 4.5% and there would be a good result

and thats it... dunno what it will be like, but ive got the bottles ready!!

How's this one looking alcohol [emoji6]

ive been really busy so its still in the fermenter.. hopefully bottle it tommorow so ill let you know if its held its sweetness.. last og reading i had was 1.004 so itl be about 4.5% inc priming sugar..

had some spare time today so managed to get this one bottled..

opened the lid and could almost see through the fv it was that clear, i batched primed with 150 grams of normal sugar using the calculator setting for lager, although iam not sure if thats enough.. anyway too late now. i disturbed the trub a little on purpose to get some yeast into the bottles for secondary fermention.. it was really clear as it had been in the fv for nearly 2 weeks

syphoned a bit into a small glass while transfering to the priming bucket to grab a bit of a taste

and............ it tasted great, the lemonade had sweetened up the cider very nicely, very pleased with how its turned out so far..

also with the lower abv the juice has retained more of its apple flavour.. it stood out, there was still a slight turbo cider tang or it may of been the lemon.. but much less than my previous attempt

looking forward to trying the finished article.. it seems to be very promising, if this turns out well i may try using cherryade or limeade or a mixture.. anything that might make a fruit flavoured cider.... or even Iron bru Cider! :lol: or Tizer Cider! :-?

oh my what have i started.. lol

tried this during the week.. its been bottled for probably 2 weeks or maybe more and has carbed up well... bottles are hard.. anyway, i was a little dissapointed tbh.. alot of the the sweetness had gone.. so obviously there was still some sugar left in there after fermention that hadnt been eaten.. but i was surprised at how comparatively dry it had become.. it has held some sweetness but not as much as i expected and it has a slight yeasty taste.. that must be because its so young.. the lowitz syrup in my last batch must of hid the yeasty taste a little.

anyway.. will leave it a while to see if it improves.. its not awfull or anything, i was just dissapointed with the level of sweetness.. i expected more

In my limited experience they need a good month preferably six weeks conditioning, mine changed considerably from 2 weeks when it was okish but after month it improved a lot and after 6 weeks its very nice

Latest posts

Back