Turbo cider final gravities

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shearclass

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

Can someone suggest dry/medium/sweet final gravity readings for turbo cider?

mine is currently 1.002. About to bottle it but not sure whetheri shodl back sweeten some to make it medum, or if 1.002 is medium.

Quick response appreciated! cheers

:drunk:

Would any of you cider folk be good enough to help me here please? I've only done 1 cider before, and that was jsut 1 gallon. I assume sweetness/dryness is different in cider comapred to wines.

I didn't bottle the other ngiht but I'm doing it tonight instead. I wouldn't mind splitting the batch and making 1 dry and 1 half medium (unless of course mine is already too sweet)

Cheers

Dry as a witches T*t dry is 0.996 so I would have said it was medium. How is it tasting? Are you sure it has stopped fermenting have you had the same reading for a few days? It depends on what yeast you used to how low it will go. A wine yeast will usually ferment out dry where as the cider yeast I am using (culivated from a weston bottle of cloudy) stopped at about 1.00.

I'll double check. I used a wine yeast, and it was fermented at pretty cool temps, 14 - 16c, and has been in fv 3 weeks now.

I'll check gravity again now beforei bottle, though i am pretty sure it's donw. It's all going in PETs anyway, so if it's not quite finished i should still not get any bombs.

it tastes ok, but as i'm not really a cider drinker (just starting to get the taste for it really) then i wouldn't be abel to say if it was dry or medium. I would definitely prefer dry - medium to sweet - medium, so i'll jsut bottle it as it.

Thanks for coming back to me on that one,

Cheers

I'm not sure about bottling; a batch I did recently finished at 0.992 if I remember correctly, so there could be a bit more fermenting to be done yet. (although PETs can take quite a bit of pressure). You're best bet would be to back sweeten with splenda if you're after a fizzy cider, or you could stabilize it if you prefer flat.

Fergmeister said:
I'm not sure about bottling; a batch I did recently finished at 0.992 if I remember correctly, so there could be a bit more fermenting to be done yet.

It depends on the attenuation of the yeast. Mine is at 1.00 and it has been for the last two months and has dropped clear so no more fermentation.

Although it's been kept fairly cool, generally below 18 celcius, it's had over 3 weeks in FV so i reckon it will be done, or near enoug hdone. PETs can withstand a huge amount of pressure so I'll be fine!

Actually i ended up using 1 glass bottle as i only had abotu 300 ml left and i was using litre PETs... :hmm: so I'll see if that explodes.

I didn't back sweeten at all.

With regards fizzy or still... I really don't know, not drank enough to know which i prefer. I had some aspells cider for the first time on Friday as it was on offer in the co-op. It was lightly carbonated in quite nice bottles, and it tasted good. I had some scrumpy (nto sure i know the difference between cider and scrumpy) at a local ber festival and that was flat, and again that was nie too.

Back