Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evanvine said:
It's still worth waiting for it to mature, what ever container it's in.

Definitely. I opened a 3 month old one last night and it was very good. From only a few weeks ago when it was sour and acidic it now very much a more rounded and balanced brew.

Hey guys were going our second 25L batch. Last time we used straight juice. this time we want to raise it about 1%. Could some one tell us how much sugar we need to add? Thanks.

Thanks!

Ps how do we figure that out so we can sort it out next time without having to bother someone :P

A given weight of sugar yields 40 to 50 % of that weight as alcohol. Multiply that by 1.25 to get ABV.
So you can see from the packet how much sugar is in your juice, and work out how much extra you need to add.
Say you want 5%abv, that implies 4%ABW, which means you need the sugar to be 8 to 10 % of the weight of the starting mash.

Just put my first batch of TC on

3l of S***sbury (all supermarkets are poo) apple juice in to start with 2l for top up
100g of sugar
1tsp yeast (youngs wine yeast)
1tsp Nutrient.
1 cup strong tea

thought it had to be worth a try, not bothered with hydro, just thought see what it does....

What it does so far is bubble like a bugger, not unimpressed at all... see what this comes out like in a bit, keep you all posted.

oldbloke said:
A given weight of sugar yields 40 to 50 % of that weight as alcohol. Multiply that by 1.25 to get ABV.
So you can see from the packet how much sugar is in your juice, and work out how much extra you need to add.
Say you want 5%abv, that implies 4%ABW, which means you need the sugar to be 8 to 10 % of the weight of the starting mash.
Thanks for the info. Why is is 8-10%? I would have thought that it would be a fixed value?

Base said:
oldbloke said:
A given weight of sugar yields 40 to 50 %...
Thanks for the info. Why is is 8-10%? I would have thought that it would be a fixed value?

Given a variable yield why did you think it would be fixed? :D
Different yeasts also have variable attenuation rates.

Base said:
oldbloke said:

There seems to be some dispute over the accuracy of the various ways of measuring. I got the info from
http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

Might be easier to decide what FG you're going to ferment down to, calculate what SG you need to give the required ABV, stick the hydrometer in and slowly add sugar til you get there.

I work out the gravity like this.............. ;)

If the wife looks attractive after 3 pints I know it's 6%. :thumb:

BB (little pud)

how much do you guys leave at the bottom of a 25L when racking and when bottling?

Latest posts

Back