Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nah... just send it straight to the cornie complete with your campden (and finings if you're in a hurry to get it clear and drink it) and all will be fine. any sediment will get drawn up within the first pint pulled then it's clear beer the rest of the way ;) :thumb:

Just used a pipette into a trial jar, measured to be 1.025! Almost there, may be done tomorrow. Will do a final check. If its anywhere between 1.016 and 1.020 I'll rack. As it's a lovely appley taste but not TOO sweet. I guess itll be around a medium taste.

GOT MY CORNY TODAY! Met norm at his house, great guy! I'll get some pictures soon!

i think it's so cool that you can let TC keep fermenting until it hits your palette's sweet or even dry spot :cool:

BS i was very interested in this comment

'on a daily basis i top them up with more gas... because the beer absorbs it and the pressure drops if i didn't and i wouldn't get carbonated beer'

do you put gas into your cider/beer every day while its in the keg or once a day only when you start drinking it?

how long is it normally before the cider/beer absorbs the gas and is no longer carbonated?

How long after kegging is your TC ready to drink?

i try to top them all up every day (unless i forget) as soon as i've kegged them. i dont leave them on all the time incase i get a leak, which could (and has) emptied the gas bottle over night. if i were more adventerous and sure i didn't have a leak i'd just leave them on all the time.

after about a week or so of topping them up, the amount of gas they need gets less and less as the beer/cider reaches it's maximum absorption for the amount of PSI i've got them set to. I also make sure i've got the gas turned on when i pour to keep the beer/cider under pressure ;)

all my TC's i've started drinking just a couple of days after kegging, but i really should be leaving them a week. never happens though :oops: :lol:

Thanks BS, this whole subject of gas is now doing my head in, the different kegs and gas bottles, injectors, adapters :?

Hey Stew..

Seen as you've got 10 gallons of turbo cider in the pipeline - why not do one of the 5gal batches with something else?

Like 50% Apple Juice, 50% pear? I think Tesco do a pure pear juice, you'll have to double check though.

May as well experiment! :)

Perhaps 50% apple, 25% pear, 25% something else..

:D

cos if i think i've got something cracked, i try not to deviate from it... so far all the beer recipes i've thrown together randomly, never seem to be as good when i try and improve on them.... almost to the point of making me think that i'm just a lucky git when it comes to first time beer formulation... it's the same for me with ciders... so if i make something i like first time, i stick to it now ;)... that... and i freakin HATE pear cider :lol:

I would like to bottle a couple of litres of TC.

So if i bottle when it reaches the desired FG wont it just keep fermenting in the bottle and lower the FG even further?

On the outher hand if i drop in a few Campden tablets into the main batch, which will go into my new corny, and then bottle a couple of litres, wont it be flat as ther will be no yeast left to create any gas?

some people have had success with bottling forced carbonated drinks straight from the tap from their cornies. i havent personally so cant offer any advice, but what i can say is i bottled 2 litres of beer straight from the tap and took it to a party, and it stayed carbonated all the way through the night.

what am i doing wrong??????????

i sanatised a FV a put in 10 litres of apple juice, threw in 3kg of sugar to bring the OG up to 1064, gave it a good stir and put in another 9 litres of apple juice, then put in the yeast SO-4.

12hours later nothing no sign of life whatsoever, am i missing something????????

it'll happen... TC in buckets dont tend to be as violent as you'd expect and sometimes dont make much of a yeast head either.

have a listen out for the fizzing.. if it's fizzing, it's working ;)

ooops just seen your posts
in desperation i rehydrated a pkt of muntons premier yeast and threw that in, shouldn't hurt should it :pray:

used Morrisons value apple juice no additives

Made the TC on Friday yeast kicked in and started working sunday, had a quick taste last night, very sweet OG 1064 has now dropped to 1026, airlock is bubling every 10 seconds.

Fingers crossed.

Get ready, dont let it drop too much below your expected gravity! I stopped it slightly before stews recommendation. I stopped around 1.020. Got a nice sweet cider!

Latest posts

Back