UK heatwave: Lettuce growers warn of imminent shortage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The BBC article says last week 18 million lettuces were sold what do people put this pointless thing into and why, i cannot remember the last time i ate lettuce and if i order a burger i always ask them not to put it in.

There could be a shortage of lettuce in UK supermarkets as soon as the middle of next week, growers have warned.

The unusually high temperatures have boosted demand for leafy salads at the same time as the heat has stopped the UK crop growing.

Growers say they may have to import leaves from the US to make up the shortfall at a time when more than 90% of salad leaves is usually UK grown.

Broccoli and cauliflower crops have also been affected by the weather.

Trade body the British Leafy Salad Growers Association (BLSGA) said the "soaring" temperatures were causing "havoc" for growers.

It said the last week a record 18 million lettuces had been sold, about 40% more than last year.

However, it added "when the mercury hits 30C lettuces can't grow".

Of all the things that could run out, this one I can live with.

What's the chances of the barley crop getting trashed? We'll all be crying then.

I think you may be correct as this lettice shortage maybe the tip of the iceberg. I read in the paper today that farmers have warned that their could be problems with the wheat and barley harvest if their isnt prolonged rain in the next few weeks

Don’t mind most of the lettuce varieties - nice in salad.

Rocket however you can shove up your jacksy - it’s the devils food !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Now...is it rocket as rhymes with pocket or some other pretentious **** you hear some TV chefs coming out with...

I haven't a clue what they're on about half the time, but I tried some celeriac the other week to see why so many of them had an obsession with it. Now I'm actually addicted to it and currently trying to figure out how to incorporate it into a curry...

I haven't a clue what they're on about half the time, but I tried some celeriac the other week to see why so many of them had an obsession with it. Now I'm actually addicted to it and currently trying to figure out how to incorporate it into a curry...
I’ve done it. I like it with spices that bring out a slightly sour flavour so fenugreek, mustard seeds, maybe even coriander. And some tamarind in your sauce. I find it quite different to pumpkin or butternut squash which I like with sweeter spices and coconut.

@Gunge I had to google celeriac as it sounds like someone with an illness, i never had you down as a celery eater.

Back