Ukraine: Russia has launched 'full-scale invasion'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both Izyum and Pavlograd are roughly 70 miles from the start lines of a prospective Russian offensive, and thus offer a very tempting combination - being both operationally significant and in relatively manageable reach. Beginning yesterday, we started to see Russian advances on the Zaporozhia axis. While these consist, at the moment, mainly of reconnaissance in force pushing into the “grey zone” (that ambiguous interstitial frontage), RUMoD did claim several settlements taken, which could presage a genuine offensive push in this direction. The key tell would be a Russian assault on Orikhiv, which is a large town with a genuine Ukrainian garrison in it. A Russian attack here would indicate that something more than a probing attack is underway.

It is difficult sometimes to parse out the difference between what we predict will happen and what we want to happen. This, certainly, is what I would choose if I was in charge of Russian planning - a drive south along the west bank of the Oskil river on the Kupyansk-Izyum axis, and a simultanious attack northward past Zaporozhia towards Pavlograd. In this case, I believe simply screening Zaporozhia in the short term is preferable to getting bogged down in an urban battle there.

Whether Russia will actually attempt this, we do not know. Russian operational security is much better than either Ukraine’s or their proxy forces (Wagner and the LNR/DNR Milita), so we know significantly less about Russia’s deployments than we do about Ukraine’s. Regardless, we know that Russia enjoys a strong preponderance of combat power right know, and there are juicy operational targets within range.

Please Sir, I Want Some More

The bird’s eye view of this conflict reveals a fascinating meta-structure to the war. In the above section, I argue for a view of the front structured around Russia progressively breaking through sequential Ukrainian defensive belts. I think that a similar sort of progressive narrative structure applies to the force generation aspect of this war, with Russia destroying a sequence of Ukrainian armies.

Let me be a bit more concrete. While the Ukrainian military exists at least partially as a continuous institution, its combat power has been destroyed and rebuilt multiple times at this point through western assistance. Multiple phases - life cycles, if you will - can be identified:

• In the opening months of the war, the extant Ukrainian army was mostly wiped out. The Russians destroyed much of Ukraine’s indigenous supplies of heavy weaponry and shattered many cadres at the core of Ukraine’s professional army.
  • In the wake of this initial shattering, Ukrainian combat strength was shored up by transferring virtually all of the Soviet vintage weaponry in the stockpiles of former Warsaw Pact countries. This transferred Soviet vehicles and ammunition, compatible with existing Ukrainian capabilities, from countries like Poland and the Czech Republic, and was mostly complete by the end of spring, 2022. In early June, for example, western sources were admitting that Soviet stockpiles were drained.
  • With Warsaw Pact stockpiles exhausted, NATO began replacing destroyed Ukrainian capabilities with western equivalents in a process that began during the summer. Of particular note were howitzers like the American M777 and the French Caesar.
Russia has essentially fought multiple iterations of the Ukrainian Army - destroying the pre-war force in the opening months, then fighting units that were refilled from Warsaw Pact stockpiles, and is now degrading a force which is largely reliant on western systems.

This led to General Zaluzhny’s now-famous interview with the economist in which he asked for many hundreds of Main Battle Tanks, Infantry Fighting Vehicles, and artillery pieces. In effect, he asked for yet another army, as the Russians seem to keep destroying the ones he has.

I want to note a few particular areas where Ukraine’s capabilities are clearly degraded beyond acceptable levels, and observe how this relates to NATO’s effort to sustain the Ukrainian war-making effort.
First, artillery.

Russia has been prioritizing counterbattery action for many weeks now, and seems to be having great success hunting and destroying Ukrainian artillery.

It seems that this partially coincides with the deployment of new “Penicillin” counterbattery detection systems. This is a rather neat new tool in the Russian arsenal. Counterbattery warfare generally consists of a dangerous tango of guns and radar systems. Counterbattery radar is tasked with detecting and locating the enemy’s guns, so they can be destroyed by one’s own tubes - the game is roughly analogous to enemy teams of snipers (the artillery) and spotters (the radar) attempting to hunt each other - and of course, it makes good sense to shoot the other side’s radar systems as well, to blind them, as it were.

The Penicillin system offers potent new capabilities to Russia’s counterbattery campaign because it detects enemy artillery batteries not with radar, but with acoustic locating. It sends up a listening boom which, in coordination with a few ground componants, is able to locate enemy guns through seismic and acoustic detection. The advantage of this system is that, unlike a counterbattery radar, which emits radio waves that give away its position, the Penicillin system is passive - it simply sits still and listens, which means it does not offer an easy way for the enemy to locate it. As a result, in the counterbattery war, Ukraine currently lacks a good way to blind (or rather, deafen) the Russians. Furthermore, Russian counterbattery abilities have been augmented by increased use of the Lancet drone against heavy weapons.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F9eadcc82-cd9b-414e-b668-ec5e132ab877_1280x720.jpeg

The Penicillin acoustic boom listens for the sound of enemy guns

All that to say, Russia has been destroying quite a bit of Ukrainian artillery lately. the Russian Ministry of Defense has made a point of highlighting counterbattery success. Now, I know at this point you’re thinking, “why would you trust the Russian Ministry of Defense?” Fair enough - let’s trust but verify.

On January 20, NATO convened a meeting at Ramstein Airbase in Germany, against a backdrop of a massive new aid package being put together for Ukraine. This aid package contains, lo and behold, a huge amount of artillery pieces. By my count, the aid announced this week includes nearly 200 artillery tubes. Multiple countries, including Denmark and Estonia, are sending Ukraine literally all of their howitzers. Call me crazy, but I seriously doubt that several countries would just spontaneously decide, at the exact same time, to send Ukraine their entire inventory of artillery pieces were Ukraine not facing crisis levels of artillery losses.

Furthermore, the United States has taken new, unprecedented steps to supply Ukraine with shells. Just in the past week, they have dipped into its stockpiles in Israel and South Korea, amid reports that American stocks are so depleted that they will take more than a decade to replenish.

Let’s review the evidence here, and see if we can make a reasonable conclusion:

1. Ukrainian officials admit that their artillery is outgunned by 9 to 1 in critical sectors of the front.
  2. Russia deploys a cutting edge counterbattery system and increased numbers of Lancet drones.
  3. The Russian MoD claims that they have been hunting and destroying Ukrainian artillery systems in large numbers.
  4. NATO has hurried to put together a massive package of artillery systems for Ukraine.
  5. The United States is raiding critical forward-deployed stockpiles to supply Ukraine with shells.
I personally think it is reasonable, given all of this, to assume that Ukraine’s artillery arm has been largely shattered, and NATO is attempting to rebuild it yet again.

My kingdom for a tank

The main point of contention in recent weeks has been whether or not NATO will give Ukraine Main Battle Tanks. Zaluzhny hinted at a badly depleted Ukrainian tank park in his interview with the Economist, in which he pleaded for hundreds of MBTs. NATO has attempted to provide a stopgap solution by giving Ukraine various armored vehicles like the Bradley IFV and the Stryker, which do restore some mobility, but we must unequivocally say that these are in no way substitutes for MBTs, and they fall far short in both protection and firepower. Attempting to use Bradleys, for example, in the MBT role is not going to work.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff93e42b0-88e8-4f36-ae54-d92db9c456b0_3000x2000.jpeg

Good morning

Thus far, it appears that Ukraine is going to receive a small handful of Challenger tanks from Britain, but there is also talk of donating Leopards (German make), Abrams (American), and Leclercs (French). As usual, the battlefield impact of Ukraine receiving tanks is being both greatly overstated (by both Ukrainian shills and pessimistic Russians) and understated (by Russian triumphalists). I suggest a middle ground.

The number of tanks that can be reasonably given to Ukraine is relatively low, simply because of the training and sustainment burden. All of these tanks use different ammunition, special parts, and require specialized training. They are not the sort of systems that can simply be driven off the lot and directly into combat by untrained crew. The ideal solution for Ukraine would be to receive only Leopard A24s, as these might be available in decent numbers (perhaps a couple hundred), and at least they would be standardized.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe4857012-27d8-4cdc-b811-38e7cb5e99e1_962x529.jpeg

A burned out Turkish Leopard in Syria

We should also note, of course, that these western tanks are not likely to be game changers on the battlefield. The Leopard already showed its limitations in Syria under Turkish operation. Note the following quote from this 2018 article:

“Given that the tanks are widely operated by NATO members - including Canada, the Netherlands, Denmark, Greece and Norway - it is particularly embarrassing to see them so easily destroyed by Syrian terrorists when they are expected to match the Russian Army.”

Ultimately, the Leopard is a fairly mundane MBT designed in the 1970’s outclassed by the Russian T-90. It’s not a terrible piece of equipment, but it’s hardly a battlefield terror. They will take losses and be attrited just like Ukraine’s prewar tank park was. However, that doesn’t change the fact that a Ukrainian army with a few companies of leopards will be more potent than one without them.

I think it’s fair to say that the following three statements are all true:
  1. Receiving a mixed bag of western tanks will create a difficult training, maintenance, and sustainment burden for Ukraine.
  2. Western tanks like the Leopard have limited combat value and will be destroyed like any other tank.
  3. Western tanks will raise the combat power of the Ukrainian army as long as they are in the field.
Now, with that being said, at this point it does not appear that NATO wants to give Ukraine main battle tanks. At first it was suggested that tanks from storage could be dusted off and given to Kiev, but the manufacturer has stated that these vehicles are not in working order and would not be ready for combat until 2024. That leaves only the possibility of dipping directly into NATO’s own tank parks, which thus far they are reticent to do.

Why? My suggestion would simply be that NATO does not believe in Ukrainian victory. Ukraine cannot even dream of dislodging Russia from its position without an adequate tank force, and so the reticence to hand over tanks suggests that NATO thinks that this is only a dream anyway. Instead, they continue to prioritize weaponry that sustains Ukraine’s ability to fight a static defense (hence, the hundreds of artillery pieces) without indulging in flights of fancy about a great Ukrainian armored thrust into Crimea.

However, given the intense war fever that has built up in the west, it’s possible that political momentum imposes the choice upon us. It is possible that we have reached the point where the tail wags the dog, that NATO is trapped in its own rhetoric of unequivocal support until Ukraine wins a total victory, and we may yet see Leopard 2A4s burning on the steppe.

Summary: The Death of a State

Ukraine’s military is extremely degraded, having taking exorbitant losses in both men and heavy weaponry. I believe Ukrainian KIA are approaching 150,000 at this point, and it is clear that their inventories of both artillery tubes, shells, and armored vehicles are largely exhausted.

I expect the Bakhmut-Siversk defensive line to be cleared before April, after which Russia will push towards the final (and weakest) defensive belt around Slavyansk. Meanwhile, Russia has significant combat power in reserve, which can be used to reopen the northern front on the west bank of the Oskil and restart offensive operations in Zaporozhia, placing Ukrainian logistics in critical danger.

This war will be fought to its conclusion on the battlefield and end in a favorable decision for Russia.

Coda: A Note about Coups

Feel free to ignore this segment, as it’s a little more nebulous and not concretely related to events in Ukraine or Russia.

We’ve seen lots of fun rumors about coups in both countries - Putin has foot cancer and his government will collapse, Zelensky is going to be replaced with Zaluzhny, on and on it goes. Patriots in control and all that good stuff.

In any case, I thought I would just generally write about why coups and revolutions never seem to lead to nice and cuddly democratic regimes, but instead almost always lead to political control passing to the military and security services.

The answer, you might think, is simply that these men have the guns and the power to access the important rooms where decisions are made, but it is not only that. It also relates to a concept in game theory called Schelling points.

A Schelling point (named after the gentleman that introduced the concept, an economist named Thomas Schelling) refers to the solution that parties choose given a state of uncertainty and no ability to communicate. One of the classic examples to illustrate the concept is a coordination game. Suppose that you and another person are each shown four squares - three are blue and one is red. You are each asked to choose a square. If you both select the same square, you receive a monetary prize - but you are unable to talk to one another about your choices. How do you choose? Well, most people rationally choose the red square, simply because it is conspicuous - it stands out, and you therefore presume that your partner will also choose this square. The red square isn’t better, per se, it’s just obvious.

In a state of political turmoil, or even anarchy, the system works itself towards Schelling points - obvious figures and institutions that radiate authority, and are therefore the conspicuous choice to assume power and issue commands.

The Bolsheviks, for example, understood this very well. Immediately after declaring their new government in 1917, they dispatched commissars to the various office buildings in Saint Petersburg where the Tsarist bureaucracies were headquartered. Trotsky famously turned up at the foreign affairs ministry building one morning and simply announced that he was the new Foreign Minister. The employees laughed at him - who was he? how did he presume to be in charge? - but for Trotsky the point was to insinuate himself on a Schelling point. In the state of anarchy that began to spread in Russia, people naturally look for some obvious focal point of authority, and the Bolsheviks had cleverly positioned themselves as such by claiming control over the bureaucratic offices and titles. On the other side of the civil conflict, political opposition to the Bolsheviks clustered around Tsarist army officers, because they too were Schelling points, in that they already had titles and position within an existing hierarchy.

All of this is to say that in the event of a coup or state collapse, new governments are virtually never formed sui generis - they always arise from preexisting institutions and hierarchies. Why, when the Soviet Union fell, did political authority devolve to the Republics? Because these Republics were Schelling points - branches that one can grab for safety in a chaotic river.

I simply say this because I am tired of phantasmagorical stories about liquidation of the regime in Russia and even territorial dissolution. The fall of Putin’s government will not and cannot lead to an acquiescent, western-adjacent regime, because there are no institutions of real power in Russia that are thus disposed. Power would fall to the security services, because they are Schelling points, and that’s where power goes.

Interesting on Schelling points, if Ukraine falls, who holds the most points? Washington or London?

The Russians have lost whether they win the war or not. Who would you prefer to win?
I would prefer peace, not just in Ukraine. Unfortunately after this War it will move somewhere else. I can't think of a time in my life that the US has not been at war.
Syria, Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan all destroyed. Children dying on a daily basis in Palestine, children starving around the world.
What's the reason, greed

I would prefer peace, not just in Ukraine. Unfortunately after this War it will move somewhere else. I can't think of a time in my life that the US has not been at war.
Syria, Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan all destroyed. Children dying on a daily basis in Palestine, children starving around the world.
What's the reason, greed

Me too, but peace on who's terms? You didn't answer the question.

Blaming the US isn't the answer, the world has been at war since humans picked up sticks. They didn't drive over the border into Ukraine. They've made plenty of mistakes for sure.

Me too, but peace on who's terms? You didn't answer the question.

Blaming the US isn't the answer, the world has been at war since humans picked up sticks. They didn't drive over the border into Ukraine. They've made plenty of mistakes for sure.
I really can't see a win for either side, it will need to be a compromise.... What is the end game for Ukraine. Totally control of their country and NATO membership. Russian economy collapsing. This allows the US to place weapons on Russia's border. This won't happen
What's Russia end game, Ukraine is too large to control. Russia and the US need to compromise. Next up China and the US with Taiwan. Just an endless cycle of destruction.

But American weapons are already on Russias border, in the baltic states, Turkey and now because of Putins stupidity in Finland too soon.

My guess is that Russia thought Ukraine would fold and allow itself to be some sort of vassal like Belarus but they didn't bargain with how well prepared they were.

This has been a massive balls up for Russia regardless of whether they win on the battlefiel eventually.

If the west sticks together then I doubt China will attack Taiwan, but I've been wrong before. Not often though. 🤣

But American weapons are already on Russias border, in the baltic states, Turkey and now because of Putins stupidity in Finland too soon.

My guess is that Russia thought Ukraine would fold and allow itself to be some sort of vassal like Belarus but they didn't bargain with how well prepared they were.

This has been a massive balls up for Russia regardless of whether they win on the battlefiel eventually.

If the west sticks together then I doubt China will attack Taiwan, but I've been wrong before. Not often though. 🤣
Time will tell, speaking of a vassal state. What's the weather like over there 😉

The BBC made an excellent documentary back in 2002 which helps explain why low information people are calling the odds on the Ukraine war and other issues. The documentary discusses how methods were developed to manipulate the public to sell products, and then eventually political candidates such as Bill Clinton and Tony Blair.

The BBC made an excellent documentary back in 2002 which helps explain why low information people are calling the odds on the Ukraine war and other issues. The documentary discusses how methods were developed to manipulate the public to sell products, and then eventually political candidates such as Bill Clinton and Tony Blair.

It would have to be good to impress me , coming from the British b--lsiit corporation :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

It would have to be good to impress me , coming from the British b--lsiit corporation :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:
LOL, exactly. It is shockingly good considering the source. But they used to allow other voices a couple of decades ago. There are places where you have to read between the lines e.g. they make out that Bill Clinton and Tony Blair had no idea that they were handing so much power to the media and special interests.

I was listening to someone saying that Russia has approx 12,000 tanks, Ukraine around 1,000 I think the UK is sending Ukraine 14 more - Putin must be quaking in his сапоги !

I assume you saw all the Russian tanks being blown up by the Ukrainians using our anti tank missiles (one example below) the in the early days of the war, the Russians soldiers were reported to be leaving their outdated tanks and hiding in the woods as they feared for their lives, our tanks are far superior so along with the anti tank missiles they already have the Russians are going to take a beating and they will be quaking in their boots.

Last edited:

Now also using big tech and social media, ironic how the BBC use these techniques themselves. War (and just about every other event and subject that we see on our telly-screens) has always been propagandised, the difference today is that governments have to spend large amounts of cash trying to control and influence the information flow, they have big tech to help them.

UK 77 Brigade (Tory MP Tobias Elwood MP is a reserve officer in this outfit and is chair of the defence select committee) are the UK gov's military mis/dis-information arm that is used to influence and control social media domestically and internationally, they are defensive and offensive in posture along with various other smaller units across the armed services and intelligence services.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/...gades/6th-united-kingdom-division/77-brigade/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobias_Ellwood

Last edited:
I assume you saw all the Russian tanks being blown up by the Ukrainians using our anti tank missiles (one example below) the in the early days of the war, the Russians soldiers were reported to be leaving their outdated tanks and hiding in the woods as they feared for their lives, our tanks are far superior so along with the anti tank missiles they already have the Russians are going to take a beating and they will be quaking in their boots.

Russia has large stocks of NLAW and Javelin missiles. Top attack missiles are a problem for the Challenger 2, as they are for the Leopard II. These tanks would have a problem with the various drones now employed by the Russians.

A dozen Challenger IIs are good for one shot in one area in Ukraine. Logistically, they will have to be grouped together. When they have to be repaired they will probably have to be pulled out to Poland or the UK. They could be more of a PITA than they are a benefit.

Germany's old Leopard IIs (2A4 variant) are available in large numbers. If Germany agrees to have them sent to Ukraine, from their new owners, they could be helpful. But that is going to take a year to put into effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back