Unrefined Cane Sugar for Primming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krytern

Reaction score
Hello. I heard that using unrefined cane sugar to carbonate the beer can leave a cider taste but I was wondering if anyone here has actually used it and can tell me their experience with it? Does it leave a different taste to using regular table sugar to carbonate and should you use the same amount of unrefined cane sugar as you would table sugar or should you use more/less?

Thanks in advance!

not really worth the hassle imho, the proportion of priming fermentables compared to the amount consumed during the primary is nominal
(80 to 160g?) : (2300 to 3000g)

If using less refined sugar as an addition to the bulk it may impart some flavour but at priming levels i cant see it

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you saying that for primming (carbonation) if I usually use 80g of white table sugar I should use 2300g of unrefined cane sugar?

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you saying that for primming (carbonation) if I usually use 80g of white table sugar I should use 2300g of unrefined cane sugar?

No, the issue here is whether 80g of table sugar makes any difference for priming to 80g of any other sugar. It makes very little difference.

The previous poster points out the tiny contribution made by the priming sugar vs the fermenting wort.

No, the issue here is whether 80g of table sugar makes any difference for priming to 80g of any other sugar. It makes very little difference.

The previous poster points out the tiny contribution made by the priming sugar vs the fermenting wort.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. So you think it won't really affect the taste as well then?

not really no.. -Cheers Slid for clearing up what i tried to say.. -

but if using sucrose to bulk up the gravity of a 1 tin kit, using a darker less refined sugar will have a flavour impact trending towards a molasses taste with the very dark sugars.. which might not be a flavour you want?

the best thing to add is dme or lme as its the real deal adding flavour and body to the beer

not really no.. -Cheers Slid for clearing up what i tried to say.. -

but if using sucrose to bulk up the gravity of a 1 tin kit, using a darker less refined sugar will have a flavour impact trending towards a molasses taste with the very dark sugars.. which might not be a flavour you want?

the best thing to add is dme or lme as its the real deal adding flavour and body to the beer

I am using a LME for primary fermentation. I meant using unrefined cane sugar for primming (secondary fermentation in the keg).

give it a go, it wont do any harm, and while the less refined sugar is marginally less calorific w/w, its an insignificant difference when talking a few grams.

it wont have any detrimental effect in such a small proportion and your pallate may be more senstive than mine and detect a subtle difference.
I dont think you will get a cider taste to the beer or notice any difference subtle or otherwise from such a small addition tho.

only 1 way to find out..

Yeah I think I will and see how it goes thanks for the replies. The shop where I buy all the stuff is out of LME and DME though and I didn't want to wait to brew want to start it today before it is too hot so I got some of the Muntons Beer Enhancer which I think is 50/50 Dexterous and DME so will see how it goes!

Back