US-05 Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawanrob

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed a 7ltr batch AG on 13-6-15 and pitched 5g US-05 my issue is that the beer after only 3 days appears to have finished fermenting, OG 1.052 and hydrometer checks on 17th and 19th indicate 1.006, is this normal for this yeast to ferment so quick?

I find with US05 and all grain it's pretty quick leave it a bit longer to start to clean up after itself. Them I crash cool for a few days before I bottle to get it as clear as I can.

Possibly an over pitch to go so low and finish so fast. It'll be fine. Maybe pitch less yeast into your next batch. What was you fermenting temperature?

From my experience with US-05, it does ferment pretty quickly. Still, I'd stick to 2 weeks in the FV before dry hopping / racking to let the yeast clean up.

That is on the low side. For medium body shoot for 66.7. Maybe your thermometer is a degree or 2 out and in fact you brewed at 64.

The other thing is 20-22 is too high for so5. This yeast is real clean from 16-18 and takes a week plus a week conditioning.

Get a large tub of water and put your fermenter in them and use fish tank heaters to keep that water at a steady temp. Use an stc 1000 and the fish tank heaters for fine control.

Obviously at 30c outside that won't help you depends where you live but in a dark place is good for a few c

Back