Using Finings when bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
i've never used finings when bottling because i've always thought that the finings would drop the yeast out of suspension before it had chance to carbonate the beer.

are my thoughts correct? or am i thinking bollox :lol:

Not sure about the science but from experience; It will carbonate, but bloody slowly and not enough. I'd say don't bother with finings in the bottle.

Some breweries fine and then add priming sugar though so it obviously still works.

Even when using finings there should be enough yeast remaining in suspension to carbonate the beer . . . the issue I have found is that if the finings does not fully floc then you get a loose easily disturbed sediment in the bottle. . . . However I use Aux Finings and Isinglass when I bottle with no problems . . . but then I add it to the primary FV and chill to drop the flocs then I take the first cask from the top of the beer which will then be bottled . . . the remaining casks are draught

k thanks guys... i'll continue not fining them then... they do eventually fall commercially bright when left out in the garage for at least 6 weeks, and the sediment stays stuck so i might stick with that :thumb:

Back