Using Finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingfisher

Regular.
Reaction score
My first brew settled out OK in the secondary FV and was very drinkable but my American Pale Ale which has just stopped remains very murky. I must admit that in my excitement with the 2nd brew I left out the Irish moss. I am going to fine it with isinglass as I sometimes do with wine. Is this acceptable and what dosage would I need to use on 25l :?:

If you used US-05 then it's a pretty poor flocculator. If you plan on using the H&G isinglass (which is the best stuff to use) then for 25L dilute the finings 2:1 with water to make up half a pint and add it to the keg.

Thanks Steve, :thumb: I've just done that, I'll let you know what happens. The yeast was WL001 which Delboy says is the same as US-05. Do you reckon that WLP002 would have given better results :?:

US-05 is a PITA, though the results are worth waiting for.
I double dosed an IPA with fresh isinglass to clear it, all to no avail.
The only thing that seemed to knock it out of solution was chilling and time :roll:

Hi V1 & Steve.

Did it look like this :?: I've added the isinglass and it partially cleared to about a 1/3 but stopped, taking a lot of trub down to the bottom of the fv. There's also particles suspended in the clearer part. I'll put it in the garage (unheated) until it sorts itself out. Bar steward :x

stuckale.jpg

I had to chill my FV down to 3 degrees for a week to get US-05 to settle out last time I used it but I did enjoy the resulting beer :cool:

Hope it settles out for you :pray:

Looks as though you racked to secondary too early . . . I know US 05 is supposed to be a poor flocculator, but judging by the amount of sediment there, it was racked too early . . . Isinglass is not really effective with a pea soup of a wort (what fining agent is?), and especially if the wort is still fermenting . . . albeit slowly

Did it look like this

I don't know as I used a corny, which you could say was my secondary, but I'd say it looked just the same.
The last 10+ pints from the corny were the clearest I've ever produced.
I used IG in the primary and in the corny, but the yeast wouldn't give up.
It past it's FG attenuation and carried on going and I had to stop it somehow :roll:

I vowed not to use US-05 again until I could chill it to clear, after 3 batches with the same results....and I haven't.

Just took it outside and slapped it about a little :evil: . The plant that's watching will get it in the morning :twisted:
hittheroad.jpg

Vossy1 said:
It past it's FG attenuation and carried on going and I had to stop it somehow :roll:

I vowed not to use US-05 again until I could chill it to clear, after 3 batches with the same results....and I haven't.
You mentioned this in another thread. I went back and had a look at my last three US-05 batches.

APA - OG 1.051, Pale and 5% Crystal, mash at 66C - AA = 78%
Happiness is an IPA - OG 1.062, Pale, 5% Munich and 8% Light Crystals, mash at 66C - AA 70%
West Coast Amber - OG 1.064, Pale, 6% Munich, 10% Crystals, 1% Pale Choc, 3% Biscuit, mash at 66C - AA 71%

As you can see, my attenuations haven't been high. In fact two of the beers could have done with a bit more!

Aleman said:
Looks as though you racked to secondary too early . . . I know US 05 is supposed to be a poor flocculator, but judging by the amount of sediment there, it was racked too early . . . Isinglass is not really effective with a pea soup of a wort (what fining agent is?), and especially if the wort is still fermenting . . . albeit slowly

I racked into the secondary after there was no apparent movement in the airlock for 3 days.
The secondary picked up and produced bubbles for a couple of days and then stopped. After another 3 days it showed no sign of working or clearing as my other brew did. Bearing in mind that I forgot the Irish moss in the boil is the best idea just to leave it to sort itself out :?: It does smell good and the flavour is fine.

I'm following this post with interest. I've have some US-05 on an outstanding order with Hop & Grape, just because it's a dried yeast I've not tried before. I'm gathering it's a real pig to clear then :cry:

Are there any particular types of beer it's good with? (sorry to hijack the thread).

Buzz said:
Are there any particular types of beer it's good with?

I use it in my house ale, Fools Gold and i can't fault it. I wouldn't hesitate in using it in any pale ale :thumb:

Latest posts

Back