Using multiple finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparks

Reaction score
I used a pack of beerbrite finings (which I believe contains isinglass) in my last brew as I wanted to get a clear amber colour (it's looking a bit brown atm though, think I overdid it on the roasted barley) and I was wondering if there is any point in using irish moss during the boil next time I brew as well as isinglass before bottling or if this is just overkill and I should just modify my recipe? I was thinking of reducing the amount of roasted barley anyway as it tasted a little on the malty side.

Also, if you do think it's better just to go with one addition of finings, do you find that adding them during the boil is more effective than adding them at the end of fermentation?

I've not really had trouble with clarity before, I just like the idea of making a really clear ale ready for summer.

That will be 'fine' to use copper finings and your isinglas before bottling. Most commercial breweries do something like this.

I usually just use protofloc during boil and give the beer time to clear and it is fine.

DirtyC

As well as copper finings (irish moss or protofloc), I've been adding Cellabrite (auxillary finings - a mixed polysaccharide / silicate based product from Murphy's) after primary fermentation when I transfer into a clean FV for crash chilling. It seems to accelerate clearing both yeast and any other haze without impacting flavour (I usually add any dry hops at same time). Not sure if this is "good practice", but it works and the beer is usually crystal clear after a week in FV2. Only then if still hazy will I consider isinglass.

Casking and bottling this afternoon, will see if it's worked again...

Irish moss 15 mins from end of boil. I use 1 tablet of protofloc for 50l brew length.
Then, after fermentation has finished in the primary, I rack into a secondary with 20ml of finings adjunct per 25l of beer. This gets crash cooled to drop out any yeast, and also brings out any chill haze. Then the addition of isinglass at a rate of 60ml per 25l into the keg with the beer racked on top.
It's important to not mix the two secondary finings together first, as they won't work if they are mixed together and added at the same time.
This gives crystal clear beer, with enough yeast in the keg at the bottom to add a bit of condition when adding priming sugar.
If force carbonating in a corny or such like, the isinglass can be added to the fermenter a day or two before racking the beer to the keg.
This gives bright beer every time.
But if you leave it long enough in the chiller, the yeast haze should drop out on its own. But it takes a long time.
This article is an interesting read. http://byo.com/clarity/item/486-conquer-chill-haze

Good to know, might try using both Irish moss and isinglass next time then. It is a bit silly really but, as that byo article says, it's more effort having to convince people that a cloudy beer isn't necessarily a bad thing!

SuperCooper - one question: I've used Adjunct Finings (AF) for the first time this evening. Racked my beer from primary FV into 2 sterilised 25L buckets with in the bottom of each to ensure it gets well mixed in. I then moved the buckets out to the garage (temp outside around 3°C at present). How long should I leave the beer in these FVs before racking into casks with a little priming solution? Cheers!

SuperCooper - one question: I've used Adjunct Finings (AF) for the first time this evening. Racked my beer from primary FV into 2 sterilised 25L buckets with in the bottom of each to ensure it gets well mixed in. I then moved the buckets out to the garage (temp outside around 3°C at present). How long should I leave the beer in these FVs before racking into casks with a little priming solution? Cheers!

SuperCooper no longer seems to be an active member. His/Her last post was Oct 2014

Back