v2.0 Bock Lager (ofc with pics!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgoda

Landlord.
Reaction score
This will look quite different. How we brew in central Europe. ;)

This is this recipe -> http://hopville.com/recipe/1149936/trad ... kozlak-v20. My 60'th brew!

It all starts with grains. Over 6kg of malt, mostly munchener.

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

And venerable Porkert/Sfinx grain crusher. Cheap and sturdy. Unbreakable.

IMG_2177.JPG

Crushed grain. Smells terrific.

IMG_2178.JPG

Heating 19 litres of water.

IMG_2180.JPG

Dough-in, thick mash.

IMG_2181.JPG

7L decocted.

IMG_2184.JPG

Heating 1st sparge water. There will be 3 in total.

IMG_2186.JPG

Hops in 1st runnings. 60g of Tettnanger.

IMG_2187.JPG

Boil, finally. 80 minutes.

IMG_2189.JPG

Spent grain. Cleaning. Hate this part.

IMG_2190.JPG

Almost forgot. Cooling the precious wort. You can see how small is my bathroom. The rest is small too. That's why i'm still brewing small batches of 20 liters.

IMG_2191.JPG

Badum-tsss! :)

36hrs later it's bubbling happily at 11*C. Rotten eggs smell and such. Happy lager yeast are happy.

This beer will be served in late september. No need to hurry.

That's my kind of set up! Simple and functional!!
Happy brewing and thanks for sharing!!!

winewbie127 said:
Typical newbie question: what does '7L decocted' mean? :wha:

I use decoction mashing for all my lagers and German weissbiers -> http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... on_Mashing. Draw some thick part of mash (mostly grain), raise temperature to 72*C for 15 minutes, boil for next 15 minutes, return to mash tun to raise temperature, then proceed normally with step mash.

For other beers usually I do simple 2-step temperature mash (hohkurz). We're highly influenced by German-style brewing. ;)

zgoda said:
I use decoction mashing for all my lagers and German weissbiers -> http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... on_Mashing. Draw some thick part of mash (mostly grain), raise temperature to 72*C for 15 minutes, boil for next 15 minutes, return to mash tun to raise temperature, then proceed normally with step mash.

For other beers usually I do simple 2-step temperature mash (hohkurz). We're highly influenced by German-style brewing. ;)

I c... :)

It's 5th day and fermentation is slowing down, now it's time for yeast to clear by-products. Rotten egg smell fades, the temperature is now about 12*c. I hope it will slowly rise to 14*c over next week or two to complete by-product reduction.

The company that once made these in Czech Rep. went bankrupt in 2011. Now similar stuff (at higher price, of course) is marketed by Brewferm, see eg at brouwland.com.

Quick update: transferred to lagering @1.019. Beer will stay in freezer for ~ 6wks.

I am not that satisfied with this beer. There was too much dark munchener malt and it seems the toasted flavour is overwhelming. It should end at about 6.5% ABV only, but it will be hardly drinkable "by the Maß"*, as it was intended.

* die Maß is 1-liter beer glass, traditional for German dispensing of beer. That's the monster the girls at oktoberfest are carrying around. In case somebody didn't know. ;)

I like the look of that Mill, have you a close up of the grist? does it come out Chopped or crushed

Today I'll be crushing grains for blonde so I'll could take some close up pics for your voyeurist pleasure. ;p

Back