very frothy beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous

Reaction score
ive done an I.P.A. brewed for 2 weeks,carbonated for 2 weeks and cleared for another 2 weeks. Ive used the same brewing and bottling system as ive always done. problem is the beer is ridiculously frothy. Its impossible to pour properly and this is resulting in wastage and a cloudy pint. ive got another 40 bottles of this !!
Have I done something wrong? one bottle exploded during carbonation. Also,is there anyting I can do to remedy the brew before pouring?
thanks

The reason I asked is this:

'Bacterial or fungal infection can also cause over-carbonation. Micro-organisms release various gases in addition to the carbonation being created by the yeast. Infected beer is normally discarded.'

Over-carbonated beer can often be salvaged. Begin by chilling the beer. The lower the temperature the better, but don’t freeze it. Cold beer is able to hold the carbon dioxide in solution, temporarily preventing the beer from foaming over. Next, loosen the caps to let the gas escape. Allow the beer to stand for 30 minutes and recap with new sanitized caps. Store the beer for several days. If the beer remains over-carbonated, repeat the process.

I had this with a Wherry, I released the pressure on the bottles (luckily I had screw tops) and re-sealed the bottles and gave the another couple of weeks and they were OK. I did it just the once but with hindsight I could have done it a couple of times to really bring the carbonation down.

I have had a very frothy batch before from a black ipa. Wasn't I don't beleave due to over carbonation but was due to I think all the sediment and hop crud in the bottles as at the time I didn't have a teriffic way to filter and strain into primary.

If I wasnt very clearful I could get an awesome ice cream float style head. Obvously it wasn't wanted and some bottles were better than others but all bottles from this batch suffered the same, it didn't stop me drinking it all though.

So now ive invested in a proper strainer and now going the way of putting some form of clarification in my wort to help further.

Did you measure the final gravity before bottling? I'm thinking IPA and higher OG than normal, so may have taken more than 2 weeks to fully ferment and you bottled it a bit early.

Could be it didn't ferment out properly. I have a over primed beer and I have left it out in the garage for a few months and it has improved no end. I can only guess but the co2 is finding its way out of the bottle somehiw

I had this with a Wherry, I released the pressure on the bottles (luckily I had screw tops) and re-sealed the bottles and gave the another couple of weeks and they were OK. I did it just the once but with hindsight I could have done it a couple of times to really bring the carbonation down.

I had the problem with a Wherry as well. Beer itself was fine, didn't taste over-fizzy but the head could tower about an inch and a half above the top of the glass.

I think that is a trait with the Wherry, as mine is in a pressure barrel and i have to pour into a 1 liter jug and let settle to get a pint as it comes out nearly all head.

Latest posts

Back