vinegar fly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intertidal

Reaction score
newbie to the forum but been brewing since 1996, chiefly from kits. real ale enthusiast.
My yule brew last month got vinegar fly. Not sure what the correct name for this is, but its the Orkney term for what happens when the ethanol goes to ethanoic acid as a result (I think) of contamination. probably poor sterilisation of the fermenting vat. Weird because I have a (admittedly fairly cavalier) sterilising regime that normally works well. I've only had about 3 or 4 properly bad brews in the last 20 years.

Anyway I have 40 pints of undrinkable plink. Before I chuck it on the garden, I wondered if there were any good uses (cooking? pickling? brining?) for "soured" ale.

this particular one was a Coopers bitter kit. I used spraymalt for the wort.

Internet was not much use for this because whenever I google "recipes for sour beer" it thinks I am talking about "good" sour beer, which is of course a thing.
any pointers gratefully received
thanks
Tris

Tris welcome to the forum.

Had it gone full acidic, or is it still turning? You could let it go fully vinegar (which really does have many)

I would not mention this on a brewing forum, but if its only started vinegar forums also cover distillation.

Latest posts

Back