Vulgar Display of Power - American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playoldgame

Tinker
Reaction score
Here's the recipe for the American IPA I just bottled - Vulgar Display of Power. It's Amber / Red in colour, has a big hop aroma and bitterness, and initial tasting reminded me a bit of Brewdog's Jack Hammer, so it'll be interesting to see how it conditions.

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.014
ABV: 7.2%
IBU: 96.5

For yield of ~3.8 litres:

Fermentables (1.315kg)
1kg Belgian Pilsner malt (76%)
225g CaraRed malt (17%)
45g Biscuit malt (3.5%)
45g Melanoidin malt (3.5%)

Aromatics (18g + Optional 3g for Dry Hopping)
Bittering: 6g Simcoe (12.7 AA)
Flavour: 6g Mosaic (12.5 AA)
Aroma: 6g Cascade (7 AA)

Optional Dry Hopping: 3g Simcoe

Yeast
Half a packet (about 5.5g) of English Ale Yeast (Safale S-04 works fine). Thinking about it, American Ale Yeast (Safale S-05) will probably work just as well.

Mash
Heat 2.9 litres of water to 77C, then add Grain Bill - temperature will drop to 66C. Maintain at 63C - 68C for one hour checking temperature every 10 minutes. Mash out to 77C.

Sparge
3.8 litres heated to 77C

Boil: 60 minutes
Hop Boil Times:
Simcoe 6g 60 mins
Mosaic 3g 45 mins
Mosaic 3g 30 mins
Cascade 2g 15 mins
Cascade 2g 5 mins
Cascade 2g 0 mins

If you wish to dry hop the beer for additional aroma, add 3g Simcoe once the initial fermentation and vigorous activity is complete, and you’re switching from a blow-off tube to an airlock.

Priming:
Melt 1/4 tablespoon per 330ml bottle (that’s 3 tablespoons for a full yield) of honey in a pan with a little water, and siphon the fermented beer into the pan.

Feedback / Improvements / Proclamations of my blasphemy or insanity very welcome :cheers:

I like the name. Beer sounds good too!

4211608089_36731f754a.jpg

That looks lovely. Just concerned about US gallons crossing the Atlantic. :-)
I freely admit my conversions may be a bit wobbly, but I think it's mostly right. Maybe ignore any references to Gallons in the recipe, just to be on the safe side :grin:

Edit: Or I could just go back and edit them out!

Latest posts

Back