W O W,took the plunge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iancxx

Reaction score
well after reading a post or two,finally got time to have a go tonight,
the wow is now bubbling away,so it seem,s to be working.
now it,s a waiting game,
thank,s for the inspiration fella,s
ian

IMG_8932.jpg

Well done. The first of many I am sure. :thumb: But don't just stick with the original WOW recipe. Try other juices in place of the orange juice. They nearly all produce a good wine.

hiya Bob,just called into asda on my way home,fancied some peach,but none in,had to settle for some orange/peach and passion fruit,got to be worth a try,
no 1 brew is bubbling away nicely not gone volcanic,but at least it,s working :D though it is a bit cold up here at the mo,have to go on the wine bottle hunt,asda had no 5 ltr water bottles in,going to store it in them and just bottle as required,if it lasts long enough,after the wife and daughter have a sip or two :)
catch you later ian

had a spare hour today,so :) ,another two wow,s on the go now :thumb:
one bubbling away allready :grin: ,the other seems a bit slow,no action yet :(
that one is for wore lass :grin:

it sure is, :cheers: one original,one with pineapple,and a one with orange,peach and passion fruit,
did want to try peach on its own,but none in the shops,ah well still got a couple of pet,s awaiting :thumb:

Well the brews are still pottering along :thumb: Had a mad spell on the two new ones, :rofl: though settled down now,mainly down to it being a lot cooler the last week or so
temp has been hovering around the 19 to 21 deg in the back room.so will let them take their time give them another week or so see how they progress
then add a few chemicals and rack em :) after a medium so will probs have to back sweeten with either juice or sugar
got me a hydrometer now so will test at the racking stage,
here is a question..i made a few litres of sloe vodka and schnaps last year and used the vary dark demerera sugar. gives the brew a nice taste which i like,so has any body tried dark sugar in a wow :hmm:
well of to walk the dog,then got me a ceiling to paint,then a bit of me time with my new DE razor and hopefully my new soap if the postie is good to me.
IAN

bobsbeer said:
Just work yourself along the shelf. But avoid any of the vegetable juices.
Not necessarily.

I regularly use a Tymbark multi juice drink which you can find in Polish shops and on the world food aisles in Morrison's, Tesco and possibly some of the others. I bought a few a couple of weeks ago from Morrison's, reduced from the regular £1.59 to £1.00 for a 2 litre carton.

It contains orange, pineapple and other fruits, but I believe the first listed ingredient is carrot juice.

You can also use beetroot juice, but avoid tomato :sick:

Edit: On reflection, tomato is regarded as a fruit and not a vegetable.

Well thats the first 3 WOW'S first rack,they seem to be quite clear,but added all the bit,s just to make sure
All 3 were at steady 0.999 so i think i will have to back sweeten up to a nice medium,
got plenty room in the new container,s,
It's fingers crossed now,be patient and see how they turn out,allready got a couple of litres of grape juice.just need to decide what to put with it got a fancy for a nice peach flavour.(a copy of Glyders brew) or a tasty blackberry.
well of to peruse the threads for a few idea's.

Ian

I just racked my first wow tonight. It's down to 0.990 but tasted amazing even though it was dry. I'm undecided whether to back sweeten or not

Hiya.i let the wife sample it.and she said it was too dry,so will add some boiled sugar to try make it to medium for her.though i have some wgj,so might try that.
still wondering what to put down next.a trip to the local shops might be on the cards this week me think's.

Ian

i made 5 seperate gallons a while ago, the wife drank 4 gallons, the last one was left in a dj, so she couldnt get it..lol... ths has by far been the nicest... all were back sweetened, to a medium dry taste.... the last one has started to round off nicely, bottled the last one and let the missus have a bottle, the rest are put away for crimbo.... should be blindin by then..lol..

just put a 5 gallon batch on two days ago... just a plain rose one, thatll be for christmas too i think, if i can keep her away from it...

motomaniac said:
i made 5 seperate gallons a while ago, the wife drank 4 gallons, the last one was left in a dj, so she couldnt get it..lol... ths has by far been the nicest... all were back sweetened, to a medium dry taste.... the last one has started to round off nicely, bottled the last one and let the missus have a bottle, the rest are put away for crimbo.... should be blindin by then..lol..

just put a 5 gallon batch on two days ago... just a plain rose one, thatll be for christmas too i think, if i can keep her away from it...

Hiya motomaniac,
How did you back sweeten your's.did you use sugar or wgj.was wondering if there is any difference between the two.did you b/s when you did your first rack, ?
i cant wait to get a taste of mine.

Ian

once id killed off all the yeasties, i back sweetened with dissolved sugar.... just dissolved it in a pan with some water and added a bit at a time , tasting as i went.... added sugar, hand over dj, shake like buggery and taste... repeat till satisfied....i racked mine 2 or 3 times, ... once it had finished fermenting i racked after about 2 weeks, left again for another week or two, racked again... think after the first rack i killed off the yeast.... the last one was sat for about a month after the 2nd rack, and i then added some raspberries to it, left a week, passed through muslin, left a week, and put through a wine filter... nice subtle flavour to it.... i also added a bit of vanilla extract too....

when you first make it, it can have quite a potent smell to it, a bit yeasty, but this nearly completely disappeared after being left a month n a bit in the dj....

Hiya.just had a look at them,they are putting down another sediment allready,probs due to the way drained em off last night.
think i will follow Moleys way in the WOW thread,and use melted sugar.see how they turn out.then at least i have a guide for my next couple of go's.
i have to pop a perscription in today so might aswell peruse the ailse at asda.see what they got in,though prefer morrison,s,they have a better stock.fancy a go at the mango aswell as the peach..what the hell might aswell do them both.
Ian

Well did the re rack and back sweeten'd them last night,clear as a bell,will be giving them the taste test tonight.
Peach wow is bubbling away,lava lamp style,cant wait to get a taste of that one in a week or two
Happy day.s
Ian

Slow down Ian!

Taste them when you bottle them by all means, then try to forget they exist for a month or two.

Yep, good advice,i will have to make do with last year's sloe vodka and shnapps,still got s few bottle's of that left,
Ian

Back