Watching the news about the floods

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseljockey

Regular.
Reaction score
Just watching the news and seeing all about the floods...I hope you guys are ok with all this flooding. We have a road in the village which was flooded the other day but at the mo we are safe.

I'm at top of a hill............ :twisted:

bloody windy up here tho. :(

Couple of streets in village flooded and an office block got 18 inches of water inside it.

no mate no damage thankfully we have a natural spring a couple of gardens up from us and it comes up now and again but only about the third time in 12 years of me living here it drains away into a soak away in next doors garden but i think i may need to devise some sort of channel that runs along the back of the shed out over the quarry

My sister has just had a call off the EA to notify her of a flood warning... the Northampton flood plains are 99% full and are expected to breach before midnight tonight. Once that happens... well, google the 1998 Northampton floods.

Here's the end of her street back in 1998:

floods3_470x352.jpg

I've told her to ring me and come here if it happens... we're not far away, but outside the flood area since we moved a couple of years ago (thank god)

Got a txt from my boss about an hour ago telling me to bring wellies and waterproofs to work tomorrow :(

Hope its not too bad, warehouse will be soaked no doubt and the warehouse staff will need a new PC as theirs is/was kept on the floor so will no doubt be dead - should be an interesting few days :(

went to have a look just after I got the txt but it was too dark to see anything even with the extra lights on the bug I am borrowing...

yea heres thinking of you all out there..in the flooded areas...

hey up andy h
im in duston and remember those floods in far cotton..... was a builders dream afterwards,

hopefully the river defences built since will cope... :thumb:

In 2007 this area experienced serious flooding, in fact our street looked just like the one in Andy.H's picture.

I know a lot of places were hit badly by the floods that year, but we were forgotton. No news teams came, no "Got to help these folk" messages.
Not too far from where I live there were houses with flood water going into upstairs windows, it really was that bad.

We lost a lot, photographs etc were destroyed and the electronic backups were on the computer that got fried (not by the flood itself but simply by the humidity generated by so much water in one place).

This taught us a lot and I'll share it for those in a flood area considered at risk.

1) Put ALL photos and mementos into a sealable box, those clear plastic ones you were looking at in Wilko's wondering if they would work as a HLT would be perfect. Make sure your insurance documents and ID are in there too.

2) Find the water stopcock, electricity main breaker and gas shutoff valve. Make sure they are accessable, trying to do this with water round your ankles isn't fun.

3) Emergency services WILL be overwhelmed with calls for help, Vulnerable folk will be seen to first - I'm sure you would want it that way, just a reminder.

4) When the power goes out it isn't the end of the world, it only feels like it. Camping stoves still work as do torches etc. just remember to take fire precautions.

5) YOU CAN'T SAVE EVERYTHING! Life is more important than things, make sure you and yours are safe, then check on neighbours. Old Mrs Fidget at number 23 might need help up the stairs, especially if she's panicing.

6) A battery powered radio can mean the difference between "what's happening" and "It'll be alright" - Knowledge is power, in this case the power over fear.

7) If the water gets in it's bad news. If the water doesn't, it could still be bad news. - Water can affect the foundations, make sure you get it checked out by the insurance people afterwards.

I'm sure others can add to this because I know I'm not the only one to have been knee deep in water.

Not bad here in Sunny Manchester, though the brook behind our house is very high, the R. Mersey isn't to bad. Considering that it always rains in Manchestre we aren't really prone to flooding, however they do say that that is because we have the Manchester Ship Canal . :thumb:

Well I got into work this morning and it looks like we got VERY lucky, there is a "tide line" of fag buts and general **** about an inch from our warehouse doors, if it had gone any further we would have been screwed, I hope everyone else was as lucky as we were!

Cheers

Frogfurlong said:
In 2007 this area experienced serious flooding,

2007 saw some pretty intense floods around Oxfordshire too, and looking at all the records (as you do before you buy something...) ours was the first house in a big row of houses NOT to be flooded!

So, until we really know the dynamics of the weather, every period of sustained and heavy rain has us just a little bit on edge.

Total non-event for us so far though (said he with large handfuls of wood...) apart from the usual two impromptu ponds in the back garden! :thumb:

Hope everyone else is having uneventful autumnal weather... :pray:

Few roads flooded here, nothing to talk about really . . . especially for the Rav :D

I didn't think about it at the time, but buying a house at the top of the hill was a good idea.

Fingers crossed for all those in at risk areas

Frogfurlong said:
We lost a lot, photographs etc were destroyed and the electronic backups were on the computer that got fried (not by the flood itself but simply by the humidity generated by so much water in one place).

That's one of the things that often gets forgotten in situations like that. After the flood waters subsided, I remember going round my sisters house to survey the damage and see what could be salvaged. The houses in her road are all Victorian and a lot of them still had cellars... you could tell which ones had them as they had 2 stroke water pumps outside the house, water gushing out in to the gutter and down the drains. Various houses had space heaters in already, trying to dry out the properties. I remember the smell as well... the river Nene is a bit whiffy when it detours through your home!

There wasn't much left that could be rescued. She had been there for a good couple of decades and had accumulated a lot of memories... photos, school scrap books, videos of the kids... all irreplaceable... all destroyed. She was lucky however, her insurance covered all the damage and replaced all her furnishings and electricals, etc. But still, she lost a lot of personal and sentimental stuff. A lot of her neighbours had no insurance and lost everything.

Since 1998, Northampton had had a shedload of flood defences built to make sure that the town doesn't suffer the same fate again. Problem is while the town is relatively safe now, it's basically turned Billing Aquadrome in to a flood reservoir... hence the place gets evacuated when things get a bit hairy. It's just moved the problem elsewhere :(

A lot of good advice for people in flood areas there sir.

graysalchemy said:
Not bad here in Sunny Manchester, though the brook behind our house is very high, the R. Mersey isn't to bad. Considering that it always rains in Manchestre we aren't really prone to flooding, however they do say that that is because we have the Manchester Ship Canal . :thumb:

I remember back in (um....) about 74 Fallowfield flooded (a bit).

Latest posts

Back