Water Bath Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racehunter

Reaction score
I use a 65L plastic storage box for my water bath, with 2 aquarium heaters. This is put into service for fermenting in FV's (it will take 2) as well as carbing up bottles and works really well.

However, to ensure the water stays 'healthy' I have been using the Chemsan solution, made up to sterilise the FV's, usually around 5L then extra water added to the required level. The total liquid content of the bath can be between 11L and 20L depending on what I am actually keeping warm. This is an expensive use of Chemsan and as such, I would like to use thin bleach instead. I have some that is 0.99% sodium hypochlorite but I am not sure of the dilution rate required just to stop the water going off.

I appreciate that there are lots of posts about using thin bleach with vinegar as a no-rinse sanitiser, but none seem to answer my specific question, so, here's hoping that someone has done this before and doesn't mind sharing the info.

Steve

Why do you even need to treat the water?

I just change mine between brews, the FV is sealed sitting in the water bath and I lift it out and dry it prior to crash cooling, so the water in the bath gets nowhere near the brew. Has worked for me for many years,

Hi @darrellm,

The water is more often than not, in the bath for 4 weeks (2 weeks with FV the 2 weeks with bottles) and I have noticed that the bottles become almost slimy when I take them out, and need washing off before conditioning.

I am assuming that the warm water is 'growing' stuff so would rather prevent it happening. I think that a solution containing 2ppm chlorine should work, as this is used for treatment of water tanks, but thought I should double check.

Hi @darrellm,

The water is more often than not, in the bath for 4 weeks (2 weeks with FV the 2 weeks with bottles) and I have noticed that the bottles become almost slimy when I take them out, and need washing off before conditioning.

I am assuming that the warm water is 'growing' stuff so would rather prevent it happening. I think that a solution containing 2ppm chlorine should work, as this is used for treatment of water tanks, but thought I should double check.
Use some thin bleach or Milton fluid/tabs as the heated water will certainly invite cultivation of microbes but it will smell for a bit.

Latest posts

Back