Water treatment or carbon filtered water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackthelad1989

Reaction score
hello firstly !

my first brew day is coming up with some kit larger and a pressure fermenter. I feel comfortable with the pressure fermenting side of things but I do have one question regarding water quality.

I have a filtered (carbon block) supply Newley fitted at kitchen outlet only.
If I was to use the filtered water should I use water treatment ( purebrew) or would this effect taste more than just using straight mains and the water treatment?
I live in the Birmingham area.
Any hints or advice is gratefully received . Cheers will

Can you get a water report and adjust to suit? In Northern Ireland you can look up water reports for your postcode.
I've only just started to adjust water but I would presume a carbon filter would throw out your adjustment calcs.

A carbon block (activated carbon?) will remove all contaminants such as pesticides and insecticides, and it will remove chlorine. It will not remove chloramine.

If your water company adds chloramine to the water you will still need water treatment to remove it - either your pure brew or campden tablet.

A water report is easy to acquire though it is only an average and may not be suitable if your water supply varies. Certain water treatments whilst not essential will help with the quality of your beer, if you require good efficiency from the grains it will require testing your ph throughout the brew. It's possible to boil off certain undesirables and do a basic water treatment, which I've done in the past but with the cost of electrickery now you need a 6 figure income.

Latest posts

Back