What’s a good replacement for Ernest Hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea brewer

Reaction score
Hi All

I’ve received a recipe from Kent’s Cellar Head brewery. I want to do an amateur clone. Only issue is they’re specifying Ernest hops which are hard to get hold of and very expensive. Does anyone have experience of a good hop substitute? It’s for their Session Pale Ale which comes in at a very drinkable 3.8% and tastes ever so slightly of gooseberry.

Thanks as always.

Ernest hops, it seems, have been around since 1953, but I'd not heard of them until about a year ago. Are they widely used? In the meantime, I've got a CML pack in the fridge so I'll have a look at this Kent Cellar beer. Thanks for the heads up @Sea brewer.

Edit:
Is this the beer that uses challenger and jester as well as Ernest?

Last edited:
Nice hop.

According YCH, it was breed in the 1920's..

"It was used in brewing trials conducted by the Institute of brewing in 1959 (reported in 1960) but it was considered to be a poor substitute for the control variety, Fuggle, due to its "strong, coarse, American aroma"."

Perhaps named in honour of this gentleman, who died that year. With Ernest recently being reintroduced to a more welcoming craft beer audience.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Stanley_Salmon

Latest posts

Back