What are you growing in the veg patch this year ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finalised all orders and this is what we're going with this year .

Ghost mini pumpkin

Monstrueux De Carentan leeks

Telephone Tall Climbing Pea( if you like peas try these they are amazing )

Burgess Buttercup Winter Squash (Vine Type)

De Ríogordo Vine Tomato

Millefleur Yellow
Vine Tomato (Centiflor Type)

Primabella Red Vine Cherry

Red alert bush tomato

Hundreds of thousands tomato.

Mulatka Beetroot

Albertos Locoto Rotoco chilli

Lemon aji chilli

Biquinho Red & yellow chillies

Kiwi berry

Mouse cucumbers

Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe Melon

Kyoto Market Green Bunching Or Spring Onion

Plus already established strawberry/raspberry apple, cherry

Wow, how big is your veg patch.
Not huge at all but I grow in a polytunnel, raised beds and lots of repurposed recycling boxes;)
I have lots of mini raised beds dotted about as well which are ideal to plant 1 pumpkin/courgette type plant or 2 Tom's etc in. Also have mini beds at base of both compost bins that feed really hungry things like last year's giant pumpkin 18 kilo from memory. Plus raised beds built in the polytunnel. Probably all in ground wise 8m x 6m if you added it all together.
I have big tubs out on drive with peas , Tom's etc in as well with a pyo proviso for local street kids that love to scrump the hundreds and thousands lol.
Last year a family moved in over the road mum and 2 kids escaping violent past .
A few of us that swap plants on the street built nice sized veg bed in garden for her and we've taught her kids and her the basics of growing veg my kids and theirs have chosen some of the random bits on the list ;) .
Local farmer donated a load of soil so she has 2 veg beds to fill now, even her eldest 14 (m) is exited to get planting , seedlings will be grown on in my polytunnel till safe to harden off .
We think we have wrangled a greenhouse for her as well but that's still in the works .
Theirs about 6 on my little street now that all grow so always someone that is happy to utilise extra seed or spare plants , it's nice that they all get on , probably rare in this day an age.

Ok I'm rambling sorry morphine's kicking in gn zzz

Not huge at all but I grow in a polytunnel, raised beds and lots of repurposed recycling boxes;)
I have lots of mini raised beds dotted about as well which are ideal to plant 1 pumpkin/courgette type plant or 2 Tom's etc in. Also have mini beds at base of both compost bins that feed really hungry things like last year's giant pumpkin 18 kilo from memory. Plus raised beds built in the polytunnel. Probably all in ground wise 8m x 6m if you added it all together.
I have big tubs out on drive with peas , Tom's etc in as well with a pyo proviso for local street kids that love to scrump the hundreds and thousands lol.
Last year a family moved in over the road mum and 2 kids escaping violent past .
A few of us that swap plants on the street built nice sized veg bed in garden for her and we've taught her kids and her the basics of growing veg my kids and theirs have chosen some of the random bits on the list ;) .
Local farmer donated a load of soil so she has 2 veg beds to fill now, even her eldest 14 (m) is exited to get planting , seedlings will be grown on in my polytunnel till safe to harden off .
We think we have wrangled a greenhouse for her as well but that's still in the works .
Theirs about 6 on my little street now that all grow so always someone that is happy to utilise extra seed or spare plants , it's nice that they all get on , probably rare in this day an age.

Ok I'm rambling sorry morphine's kicking in gn zzz
So, you are growing poppys too?

Best broad beans I've grown in years, not a greenfly in sight !
20230608_184251.jpg

I've got mangetout which is just about ready to eat, courgettes, squash, tomatoes and runner beans. I also planted some honeydew melon plants which I've grown from seed, wonder if I'll have a melon in a month or two? 🤣

Peas,tons of potatoes, turnips,celery,beetroot, Broad beans,runners, French,corn,kale,sprouts,cabbage.
Tunnel....loads of heritage tomatoes, chilies,aubergines, peppers,cucumbers, melons.....lots of other stuff!

I've got black fly on my broad beans :-(

Also growing French beans, garlic, onions, sweetcorn, courgette, pumpkin......and of course hops.

In the greenhouse chillis, peppers, tomato, aubergine, cucumber.

I've got black fly on my broad beans :-(

This is the first year I can remember with virtually none at all. Usually I just nip out the tops and the plants crop fine.
Charlotte potatoes are looking good, also have spring onions, lettuce, Chard, American spinach, Courgette and various tomatoes all starting to flower.
Got some purple sprouting broccoli potted up ready to plant out. Its probably my favourite veg of all if it can survive pigeons, caterpillars and the winter as
a welcome bit of greenery at a time of year when there's not much else going on in the veg patch ( though I do like a November sowing of broad beans for an early crop ).

Latest posts

Back