What can I make with cherries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
The park (Burgess) across from my building has a huge amount of cherry trees. I have often seen people picking them from the lower branches(and even climbing up into the tree) but this year I'm simply going to carry my step ladders across into the the park and harvest a load.
So in preperation, what alcoholic drink can I make with them (I only know how to make beer). All ideas appreciated. I'll also be asking how to make the drink I like the sound of

The park (Burgess) across from my building has a huge amount of cherry trees. I have often seen people picking them from the lower branches(and even climbing up into the tree) but this year I'm simply going to carry my step ladders across into the the park and harvest a load.
So in preperation, what alcoholic drink can I make with them (I only know how to make beer). All ideas appreciated. I'll also be asking how to make the drink I like the sound of

Can’t help but eagerly following this - I’ve got a freezer full of last summers cherries from our tree but never really found a recipe other than cider to use them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirsch or wine, can use the stones for Kirsch and the flesh of the cherries for wine. Use the same as with any fruit for wine, found a simple kirsch recipe here http://larderlove.com/homemade-kirsch/

Cherry wheat beer?

Maybe? But I think the cherries are more for a flavour in a beer. I want something that the cherries will make the bulk of because I can get a hell of a lot of cherries if I want (Part of the park is on an old rail line and the main path through the park is arrow straight and lined with cherry trees on one side for about 1/8-1/4 of a mile). I might put some in a beer though

Found a number of recipes by SW andrews 2 for morello and another 2 for black cherries.

For dry morello:
1.2 kg ripe cherries, 2tsp pectolase, 1 gallon of water, 1 camden, 1.3kg sugar, yeast nutrient and pommard yeast.

For sweet: 1.6kg of sugar, port yeast

For black cherry dry:
1.4kg (3lb) black dessert cherries, 2tsp pectolase, 1 gallon of water, 1 camden, 900g sugar, 1 tsp nutrient, 2 tsp of citric acid, pommard yeast.

For sweet
2.3kg (5lb) cherries, 1.3 kg sugar, start with 3lb sugar and add rest after straining pulp into dj.

either hi
You have to judge the acid requirement (Citric) for your brew, as different cherries have either high or low acidic content.

Method

Bruise cherries in bucket with the water and add the pectolase, crushed camden cover and don't break stones for 24 hours. Dissolve sugar in a further 2 litres of water and ferment on the pulp, if possible get some of the stones out by hand (clean hands) and ferment for another 2 days. Press the pulp, strain the juice out into a Dj and leave till complete, rack when complete, finings etc afterwards.

These recipes are now 45+ years old so yeasts are whatever you can get.

Last edited:
Booze for Free has a cherry recipe as I recall. There’s a few wild cherry trees on an old railway near me that I have my eye on.

Sorry, dumb mistake!

I have checked the book and the recipes are for Cherry Wine, Cherry Brandy/Gin and Cherry Cordial called Vissinada.

Andy Hamilton says the wine is very quaffable at 15%

I think if you google it there is a version of his Cherry Wine on the net.

Cherry mead........ now there's an idea!

I guess you could make a Belgian style kriek.
I think you start by making a lambic-style beer and you add the cherries for your secundary fermentation. Just remember that you'll likely won't have use for your FV for quite some time because the secondary fermentation can take up a lot of time.

Back in 2016 I made a cherry wine out of sweet cherries that had started to split.
I posted a short video on which has the recipe in the description. Can't get to copy the text.

It would be fair to say that it's taken til now to be a pleasant drink. Initially it was harsh, is dry and fruity but I feel that it would be better with some sour cherries and banana / grape juice to give it some body.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

second a nice cherry lambic. heaven.
I made a wit with a wild Brett funk and put cherries on it which was pretty durn good, but would have been even better with a bit of sourness.

Back