What happened?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madferret

Reaction score
I made a Wilko fruit cider kit Yesterday, but the fermentation didn't start. I followed the instructions to the letter, accept I used 900g honey and 500g sugar.

The OG ended up about 150,

did I kill the yeast?

The temps were all ok, and I'd setup a wine kit in the same barrel immediately before, which is fermenting nicely.

Could I use the fermenting wine as a starter maybe?

Didn't start or hasn't started yet? I'd give it 'til tomorrow morning before getting too concerned.

Phew.... It's started when I woke up this morning.

Must've been too cool in the room it's in, never had one take more than 24hrs to get going before.

It's still slow though, maybe the yeast isn't very good?

The wine I did is going like a train. :)

All yeast are different. Remember that they are living microorganisms that cannot guarantee fermentation at a certain time. We just have to provide the optimum environment for them to do their thing. If they have been improperly shipped or stored then there may be less viable yeast remaining in the packet.

Give the yeast time and the right temp and it'll pick up... eventually... :thumb:

LeedsBrewer said:
All yeast are different. Remember that they are living microorganisms that cannot guarantee fermentation at a certain time. We just have to provide the optimum environment for them to do their thing. If they have been improperly shipped or stored then there may be less viable yeast remaining in the packet.

Give the yeast time and the right temp and it'll pick up... eventually... :thumb:

I've even tried playing the some uplifting music and Poking them with a stick, but there just lazing around 'chilling out'. :D

Madferret said:
I've even tried playing the some uplifting music and Poking them with a stick, but there just lazing around 'chilling out'. :D

Ah you have the Jamaican yeast strain... Relax man and take it easy...

Stick some Bob Marley on and you'll be fine :thumb:

Latest posts

Back