What hops to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez82

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm planning a brew at the weekend Northern brown ale by Greg Hughes. I have all the grain I need but I don't have the hops to hand but have plenty of others. any ideas what I can use in place?

Required hops.
Admiral
Challenger

Hops I have.
Amarillo
Bramling cross
Cascade
East Kent goldings
Endeavour
Jarrylo
Mandarina bavaria
Pacific gem
Summit
Wakatu
Bullion
Target
Fuggles
Chinook
Citra

I'm looking for a old Newcastle brown ale taste any ideas what I can use in place

You have plenty that can be used in your armoury for English style ales but East Kent Goldings are used in some of the clone recipes I have seen

Looking at the flavour profiles I've seen online I was thinking Bullion and Chinook but I haven't use most of these as there new I'm not to sure

If you are wanting a Newkie brown style then deffo use East Kent Goldings. Chinook is a American hop and would not be used in English Brown ale unless you want the American twist on it. The other options if you want a classic English Brown is Target, Fuggles and Bramling Cross. Good luck with what you choose

I think I might go with target at the start of the boil as it has the higher aa to match the Admiral and then the east Kent at the end

Back