What software?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
just wondered what software people use to make recipes.
I use BrewMate at the mo but am considering giving Beersmith a go. It looks a little more comprehensive, any thoughts?

I've tried beersmith and brewers friend.

Beersmith is good, nice recipe builder, lots of ingredients loaded. It will price your brew for you which is a really nice feature.
Problem is, it is only ok as long as you are a pc user, as it is a program that has to be installed. If you need to use the same recipes etc on a couple of devices it is a pain in the proverbial. It has to be manually sync'd and doesn't seem to transfer across custom ingredients like your water profile. The android app is ok (better than brewers friend app).

Brewers friend takes a little getting used to but is very comprehensive and is web-based so you can open it from any device and browser. Doesn't do pricing. Android app isn't much use when you have full functionality in browser.

Both have inventory and shopping list i think.

After trying both it is brewers friend that I preferred in the end. Web-based, capable and easy to use.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards Beersmith but will check Brewersfriend before buying it.

Beersmith is good, nice recipe builder, lots of ingredients loaded. It will price your brew for you which is a really nice feature.
Problem is, it is only ok as long as you are a pc user, as it is a program that has to be installed. If you need to use the same recipes etc on a couple of devices it is a pain in the proverbial. It has to be manually sync'd and doesn't seem to transfer across custom ingredients like your water profile. The android app is ok (better than brewers friend app).

I have Beersmith 2 set up on my PC (running Windows) in my spare room and on a laptop (on Linux) in the garage/brewery. The files are saved in a Dropbox folder so sync on both computers however the only condition to this is that you can't have both running the program at the same time (not really an issue)
It works perfectly.

DA

Yes brewtarget runs on linux and is awesome. The only thing it lacks is a water treatment section. The software I use for water is the amazing bru n water, water treatment spreadsheet, also works on linux.

Latest posts

Back