What to do with oversweet quad

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I brewed a Belgian quad a few months back and bottled it once it was done. The issue I had with it was that unfermentable sugars were created in the mash plus the wrong yeast was used and it just didn’t attenuate as it should have- leaving it very sweet.
I bottled it and used cbc1 bottling yeast.
As you can imagine I’ve got quite a bit of these bottles left stored which I’m not really fussed about touching.
Is there anything I can add to my glass prior to pouring it that will at least give the impression that it isn’t as sweet as it actually is?

Oh....did you mash quite high?....also bigger beers need the right amount of yeast and sometimes using pure good quality oxygen is needed for a healthy ferment.

Some Belgium yeast is under pitched to highlight certain favour, s.

As for what to do.... You could let it bottle condion ....the yeast will try its best on the difficult sugars.

Or mix your bottle with a commercial beer.....?

Which yeast did you go for.??? Hopefully not the Scottish yeast (low attenuating ). l,m using next month for a 7.1 Forien extra tropical Stout....which needs to be sweet....69deg mash temp.

Belgium ales are normally strong and finish dry High attenuation yeasts....

I have been too brugge.....top trip.☺

Last edited:
Cool....2/2.5 litre starter.....for Quads.

Check out Xmas beers soon at Fuggles on line beer shop ....cannot wait.

Last edited:
Was this the quad that you used T-58 on that stopped at 1.022?

If so, I presume it carbonated OK with CBC-1 without creating bottle bombs, despite the high gravity?

If so, I presume it carbonated OK with CBC-1 without creating bottle bombs, despite the high gravity?
Hi , have just seen his main thread....its sound like better FG checks would be needed for the next big beer ...yeast is key to all great strong Ales...

Always use good O2 over around 8% ABV......works for most in the trade.

Last edited:
You could try steeping a suitable hop pellet in a very small amount of boiling water to extract the bitterness, then strain the water into the beer to counteract the sweetness.

Aye it is indeed the very same! It carbed fine and zero bottle bombs. I’ve since re done the same recipe using m41 yeast and I got 97% attenuation giving me 12.6% abv 🤣

Aye it is indeed the very same! It carbed fine and zero bottle bombs. I’ve since re done the same recipe using m41 yeast and I got 97% attenuation giving me 12.6% abv 🤣
Mix the two in the glass. Who doesn't like an Octupel.

It's interesting to see how well CBC-1 worked to get a stable bottle with so much residual sugar.

It's interesting to see how well CBC-1 worked to get a stable bottle with so much residual sugar.
I’m properly impressed with that bottling yeast. The instructions were ridiculously complicated to get to grips with. In the end I just did what I felt best and it worked perfect

CBC-1 will only ferment simple sugars and kills off other yeast.

CBC-1 will only ferment simple sugars and kills off other yeast.
Yes. I suggested using a bottling yeast on this beer in a previous thread. I just checking to see how well it worked in this extreme scenario as the beer was stuck at 1.028, and CBC-1 is really only intended for and typically used for bottling fully fermented beer. Arguably it worked too well, as the beer is too sweet, but it's interesting real world experience and proof of concept, for advice that might help others in the future.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/potentially-embarrassing-bottle-bomb-query.102976/

Last edited:
If it tastes too sweet, you good add something like citric acid to the glass. It'll add a bit of tartness which should hopefully counteract some of the sweetness.

It may not be the flavour your after, but not sure what options you have for the glass, apart from blending with a very dry beer.

If it tastes too sweet, you good add something like citric acid to the glass. It'll add a bit of tartness which should hopefully counteract some of the sweetness.

It may not be the flavour your after, but not sure what options you have for the glass, apart from blending with a very dry beer.
That’s a nice idea and I’ve got lots of citric acid. I’ll do a little experimenting.
Cheers 🍻

Latest posts

Back