What to do with Single Can of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract- suggestions!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard2020

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a single can of Coopers Wheat LME- 1.5kg. I think I got it in my beer kit days as a beginner, before I moved onto all-grain brewing. The reasons for buying it are lost in the mists of time. It has sat languishing in my shed for nigh-on two years, since the bad old lock-down era.

Can I brew it up using a beer-kit type approach, i.e. stick it into a FV and add some boiling water, cold water, maybe some brewing sugar, pitch some yeast and see what happens? Just looking for cheap and cheerful options, and hopefully quantities of water etc! I have all the usual all-grain gear but don't want to go through a full boil with addition of hops, chill, etc for something I might not like the taste of. I'd rather spend my time instead doing another all-grain brew, which I am very much enjoying after a bit of a hiatus.

It would be a shame for the LME to go to waste.

Thanks all in advance,

Richard

PS I'm doing some painting at the moment!!

IMG_7108.JPG

Get a kilo of wheat DME (it’s only 50% wheat) brew to 19 litres and buy some wheat beer yeast.. Treat the water with campden tablets. Make a hop tea with an American hop and dry hop with the same.

Excellent, thanks a lot! All ordered. Do I need to put hot or cold water in at the start, or a mixture- maybe hot to get the LME diluted and nicely liquified, then top up with cold? And presumably then treat with the campden tablets, leave for 24-48 hours, then pitch the yeast?

I've ordered this teabag kit, do I just make it up and pop it in once fermentation is underway, then leave it alone until I siphon into my bottling barrel? Tea Bag Hop Enhancer Pack - 20g Willamette Hop Pellets

Cheers,

Richard

Back