What will be your next three brews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i plan reasonably far ahead, though it's always subject to change. i like to keep it simple (i'm lazy) at the moment with regards yeast, so arrange brews for the most part in clusters so i only have to maintain one or two strains at a time. just coming to the end of a round of pales and porters with lovely ringwood yeast so gonna finish in style with a double-mash parti-gyle brewday :shock: next up is chico. also squeezing a few lagers in now i've built up a cake of wlp838..

1. imperial export stout / regular porter *wlp005*
2. schwarzbier *wlp838*
3. some kinda ruby-rye thing *wlp001*
4. imperial ipa *wlp001* -- will freeze down ~4L of this and see if i can fill a decanter of special-strong ipa :D
5. maibock *wlp838*

morethanworts said:
Aleman said:
Faux Belgian Kreik - Chimay Yeast re-cultured from a bottle Around 8%
Bohemian Pilsner - Weihenstephan Yeast 5.2%
Hybrid golden ale - Saaz and Stryian to around 4.1%
Just out of interest, knowing that you're not one for false economy, I wonder why you're going for the re-cultured Chimay yeast, rather than WLP500 or Wyeast equivalent in your (presumably non-lambicky) kriek..
Because I can :D . . . I want to have a play with getting yeast from bottles and storing for a long term in a cryoprotectant . . . plus plating and slanting and all that stuff . . . getting a pure culture from Whitelabs is just too easy :D

I am going to buy enough grain for the next six brews and I plan the following.

1 - an all grain copy of one of my extract brews with Nelson sauvin and pacific gem.

2 - an all grain version of an Amarillo & centennial extract brew.

3 - a snpa clone based on the maltmiller/mysterious recipe.

4 - a brew with Apollo and mosaic.

5 - a brew with cascade and Amarillo.

6 - a smash with simcoe.

Next for me is a mini mash Mackerson clone which i have been meaning to do for ages, only going to do 20 pints as its my first brew using grains, just in case its a disaster.
Then it will be a coopers cerveza.
then a wilkos cerveza to do a comparison.

:drink:

Very much enjoying seeing people's planned brews! :thumb:

Aleman said:
morethanworts said:
Aleman said:
Faux Belgian Kreik - Chimay Yeast re-cultured from a bottle Around 8%
Bohemian Pilsner - Weihenstephan Yeast 5.2%
Hybrid golden ale - Saaz and Stryian to around 4.1%
Just out of interest, knowing that you're not one for false economy, I wonder why you're going for the re-cultured Chimay yeast, rather than WLP500 or Wyeast equivalent in your (presumably non-lambicky) kriek..
Because I can :D . . . I want to have a play with getting yeast from bottles and storing for a long term in a cryoprotectant . . . plus plating and slanting and all that stuff . . . getting a pure culture from Whitelabs is just too easy :D

Sounds a bit Damien Hirst :shock: (or maybe Michael Jackson). For a moment, I thought it might be something to stop my SWMBO's mascara running when the brewing clutter brings her to tears. :D

I've got a plan for the next two brews and a likely recipe for the third. Will need to order some of the ingredients for brews two and three and plan brew four. Having just brewed a dark mild and a porter I fancy some lighter brews.

AG#9 - Kolsch. Weyerman Pilsner malt. Spalt hops. WLP029. This will be my first ever lagering of a brew.
AG#10 - Attempt to clone Fuller's ESB. Dingemans Pale Malt and crystal. Target, Challenger and EKG hops. WLP002. Such a good beer that if mine is half as good I'll be really pleased.
AG#11 - Session Pale Ale. Pale Malt. Challenger for bittering and EKG for aroma and dry hopping. NBS West Coast yeast. I did this brew with Hop Back yeast for boxing day and we got through a full PB in no time.

I like planning beers almost as much as brewing and drinking them. :cheers:

AG No. 6 - Barclay Perkins 1849 Export India Porter (Monday)
AG No. 7 - Barclay Perkins 1848 Imperial Brown Stout (on the yeast cake of the above)
AG No. 8 - Truman XXXXK 1846

LOVING the historical ales at the moment.
No. 7 is to replace a previous batch that got infected in the cornie, but was amazing until then!

SimonS said:
AG No. 6 - Barclay Perkins 1849 Export India Porter (Monday)
AG No. 7 - Barclay Perkins 1848 Imperial Brown Stout (on the yeast cake of the above)
AG No. 8 - Truman XXXXK 1846

LOVING the historical ales at the moment.
No. 7 is to replace a previous batch that got infected in the cornie, but was amazing until then!

Sounds a nice plan. I haven't yet been able to guarantee getting two brewdays in the space of a couple of weeks or so, to reuse a yeast cake, or even to chill some top cropped yeast. :( I think I'd have to go down the freezing, maybe slanting route to keep my yeast going. At the moment, I'm just accepting the extra few quid to guarantee the yeast being healthy.

Don't even know what I am going to brew this Saturday. I know it will be a bitter up to 1040 as I am going to bottle a few bottles for the spring thing comp. Will decide on the grains Friday when I weigh them out. And probably decide the hops when I'm sparging Saturday. A lot of my brews have been a bit like this of late.

1.White House honey ale
2.American pale ale
3.Craigtube porter.

These are the brews i will do to ease myself into partial and mini mash brewing. Looking forward to it! Cheers and happy brewing.

I've got a good selection of malts in and I've just bought a selection of dry yeasts to experiment with over the next few brews, planning:

A Chocolate Porter 5% (with the NBS ale yeast 2)
An Ordinary bitter 4% (with some Notty)
A Saison for the Summer 5.5% (with NBS Belgian Saison yeast)
A wheat 4.5% (with NBS Weiss)
A wheat 5% (with Safbrew WB-06)

My plan looks really lame by comparison.

Get can opener and plastic bucket:

1. Coopers Original Stout - same as last time + 1kg dark DME plus T&L's finest and maybe a drop of treacle.
2. 2x Lager kits from the Wilko sale, plus 1 kg soft dark sugar (done all together at 27L).
3. Another Wherry, again courtesy of the Wilko sale, plus 500g of T&L and a dry hop addition from the remaining Cascade hops that have made the house smell like a proper brewery for the last 2 days.

But, at least it's a plan.

This has made me realise how chaotic I am. I buy loads of ingredients without planning anything just because I want them! And then decide what to brew on brew day based on how I feel and what recipes I have been interested in recently. I've currently got 19 different malts (all uncrushed), plus flaked barley and flaked maize, 21 different hops in the freezer, 4 yeasts in the fridge, and no SWMBO, my spreadsheet tells me.

I bought a load of specialty malts lately, Special B, Caramunich, Extra Dark Crystal, roasted rye, crystal rye, pale chocolate, vienna and munich. I need to use some of these! Hop-wise I will probably be using Simcoe, Nelson, Bobek, Citra and Apollo in my next few brews. For my own sake, to try to nail something down, here are some rough possibilities.

1. MO/Munich/Wheat with a split boil, half Bobek, half Nelson Sauvin. US05.

2. MO/Caramalt/crystal rye/wheat, split boil half Simcoe, half Apollo or citra.

3. A rye stout/porter with roasted rye and maybe extra dark crystal and/or Special B. Might split to compare those two malts.

4. A Citra pale ale, maybe with some caramunich, maybe some crystal rye. Might split into two FVs, one with T58 yeast, the other an English ale yeast.

5. Not sure. I had a rough list on a scrap of paper, but I've lost it.

One of these might happen after work tomorrow, sprogs clearing off to grannyland, probably no. 1. I have done the Bobek with munich thing before, it was great. Nelson is an obvious choice too, for a Kipling type beer.

Edit: I could've sworn it said next FIVE brews!

My Galaxy will have MO/Munich/Wheat Malt too. I haven't used Munich before, so interested to see what it will add. I also need to decide whether to use the Galaxy for bittering, as well as all the late additions. At 15%AA, it wouldn't take too much, but I do like Northern Brewer for a nice clean bittering, in my limited experience.

Malt Miller delivery today. Happiness is a nice full grain store :cheers: :

20140219_115130.jpg

Next three brews?
Urm...
Irish Red Ale v3 - MO, Munich, Roast Barley, Cara Red with EKG and Bramling X hops
Hefeweisen v2 - Pilsner, Wheat Malt, Galena hops
Muntons Gold kit

After that i've no idea! So many ideas, not enough brewdays!
DA

My next 3 brews:

Deuchars IPA

Black Sheep Best Bitter (again because it is stunning)

A Banks Sunbeam clone - first I need to concoct a recipe.
I'm starting with 3,5kg of Pale Ale Malt, 250g Crystal and maybe a bit of wheat malt with some Citra and some Nelson Sauvin - I haven't worked out the quantities yet.

Next 3 brews on the little kit are:-

1) American pale about 4.5% abv...Ive got some hops to use up so will look at a recipe to fit what I will have in.
2) A mild...not decided on a recipe as yet but I want a sweet fruity number...Ive never brewed a mild so looking forward to getting it done
3) An English hopped pale session ale

On the big kit...Its business as usual

1) IPA
2) Galaxy pale
3) Topaz pale

There is a long list of brews I want to do over the next few months but these 3 are pretty much cast in stone (until something else sidetracks me)

1. AG#11 SNPA clone- 3rd incarnation of this brew for me. My favourite beer by a mile and I still can't believe I can knock it up in my basement!
2. AG#12 Robinsons Old Tom Clone - This was my 1st ever AG brew and I'm doing it again to see if I can get the volumes right this time!
3. AG#13 A SMaSH ale probably with MO, Styrian Goldings and SO4.

:thumb:

Aaaaaaagh...next brew is my first extract attempt. ....An attempt at a Wychwood wychcraft clone..The way I see it next two will be attempts to rectify the mistakes I make with the first extract. :?

Since my original post, things have moved on from the original plan, which was...

Belgian Tripel (WY3787/Pilsner/Wheat/Candi/Dextrose Northern Brewer bittering - a repeat of my brew three brews back). Love it!
A hoppy Galaxy pale ale with us-05 - not my usual thing, but something of the moment
Oaked version of my recent ESB (s-04/MO/Crystal/black/Northern Brewer/Williamette/EKG)
More Tripel, this time with WLP 530, white labs equivalent of 3787, just to check
Rochefort 8 Clone

After a cock up with the tripel starter, the Galaxy came first and is smelling and tasting really good. It's going to have a hop bag floating around for another few days and then get bottled.

I've still got to get the tripel stock up. 60 bottles could disappear in no time with the wrong sort of visitors.

The oaked ESB and Rochefort 8 are now competing with a chocolate and vanilla porter for my attention after that.

Back