What's going on at Geterbrewed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You learn something new every day, I always assumed it was delivered in dumper trucks for some reason, no idea why. :lol:

This is what I thought. I'm pretty sure Eden Brewery in St. Andrews have said that this is how their malt is deivered on the 2 tours I've been on. They certainly store their grain in sealed vats.

You learn something new every day, I always assumed it was delivered in dumper trucks for some reason, no idea why. :lol:

Interestingly, Moorhouses use water from the Lake District that is brought in Tankers, I was surprised. They told us the water was the most expensive ingredient they use!

After @Yeastface's post, I re-read yours and (what I believe YF was getting at) the way you capitalise CHATEAU and CASTLE appears as if you are trying to say that you bought Chateau but were given Castle. Now you've been replying to the thread it appears this isn't the case so I apologise.

However, I still don't see how them buying in bulk and selling in smaller quantities isn't a plausible answer.

Firstly, the best way to keep prices down (and GEB are one of the, if not THE, cheapest HBS around) is to buy in bulk quantities.

Secondly, how do you know that maltsters only sell their malt in 25kg bags? If Castle are selling wholesale to microbreweries and larger HBS's it would seem to be an unnecessary cost to bag everything up in 25kg bags, especially for base malts (although it wasn't a base malt you bought), where a microbrewery would be needing hundreds of kilos at a time or an HBS would be needing to crush the malt themselves (again I realise this wasn't the case in your situation)!

Finally, what you are trying to say they are doing (i.e. Passing off an "inferior" malt as Chateau Special B) is illegal and if you are so confident that this is what they are doing you should be contacting Belfast Trading Standards about it. They would investigate and take action if necessary. However, I would suspect they are answering truthfully considering their reputation!

Is it that implausible that inferior grain could be passed on as something superior for more profit? After all much of the population have eaten beef burgers containing horse DNA and been none the wiser and I'm sure this was done to maximise profits since horse meat is cheaper than beef.

Answering truthfully took them a week after I had to send multiple emails to get a response.

Is it that implausible that inferior grain could be passed on as something superior for more profit? After all much of the population have eaten beef burgers containing horse DNA and been none the wiser and I'm sure this was done to maximise profits since horse meat is cheaper than beef.

Answering truthfully took them a week after I had to send multiple emails to get a response.

As I said, if you honestly believe that this is what has happened then you should contact trading standards. My personal opinion is that I doubt GEB would do that. They have had a presence on here in the past but haven't posted anything for a while - @geterbrewed might be able to help clear up any confusion.

As an aside, the Tesco Finest burgers went downhill significantly after the horse meat scandal. The fat content appeared to skyrocket and the seasoning became overpowering. I can't eat them any more!

Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.

CASTLE Malting is the name of the maltster. Chateau is the prefix they give to their various malts some of which are registered trade marks (like "Coca Cola" is a registered trade mark for their coke drink). Chateau Special B is one of these registered trade marks.

So to analogise what Geterbrewed are doing is either buying "Coca Cola" and re packing it in a "Rola Cola" bottle (hence ridiculous idea) or advertising "Rola Cola" as "Coca Cola". I hope you understand what I mean. :thumb:

The company uses both Castle Maltings and Malterie du Château as their name. I read your original post as you suggesting they had sent you Castle malt and this was inferior, when in reality they are the same thing.

I can confirm meantime brewery had stacks of sacks (25kg)when I did the brewery tour, cos I almost tripped over one.

don't let h&s know cos that would spoil the fun.

But I suppose the industrial sized brewers have whole tipper truck loads delivered.

(or maybe special malts are delivered in sacks and base malts by tanker)

Nobody is taking sides here son.

I have been to a couple of breweries and whilst I wasn't looking out for their grain storage I know at least one of the breweries had tonne bags of grain. I was watching it being crushed.

I also find geterbrewed respond quicker via social media.

not directly brew related but I know plenty of businesses that repackage to their own brand. It is part of corporate identity and brand awareness, tagline thingimys etc.

Now they could put an inferior product into their own or mix it but then it would damage the brand which is against their reason for doing it.

Funnily enough I was speaking to an aggregate wholesaler who also sold to punters. He delivered ton bags of aggregate to a well known local builder merchant who dumped them directly into their own ton bags and charged 3 times the price!

not directly brew related but I know plenty of businesses that repackage to their own brand. It is part of corporate identity and brand awareness, tagline thingimys etc.

Now they could put an inferior product into their own or mix it but then it would damage the brand which is against their reason for doing it.

Funnily enough I was speaking to an aggregate wholesaler who also sold to punters. He delivered ton bags of aggregate to a well known local builder merchant who dumped them directly into their own ton bags and charged 3 times the price!

it doesn't surprise me - its business !

Have to say that i have used them quite a few times and not had any problems with any items ,last order was various crushed grains(only smallish amounts) all packaged in sealed bags with weight and decription.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back