what's the cheapest kit that tastes ok ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
just lost my job.
so there will be some cut backs until things get sorted but hopefully won't be long
In the meantime I will be trying to save pennies here and there. Is there a reasonable cheap kit that can make a decent pint. my experience with kits has brought me to the conclusion that you get what you pay for but is there a gem out there somewhere??

Sorry to hear about your job, I hope you find something soon.

As for the kits, the Coopers kits have a very good reputation and I've found them to be pretty good. The Australian Pale Ale was ready in 3 weeks and tasted very nice.

Yep, +1 Coopers kits
I've done a few of the European Lagers now; IMO, all good!

+1 on the Coopers kits as well, Geordie brew was o.k. at £10.20 or so at Wilko's but for a couple more quid I prefer the Coopers kits, just depends on how much you need to save.

sorry to hear about your predicament, I hope you find employment soon. :thumb:

Colin

have you thought of crossing over to wine cos some of the fruit juice wines are really good and cost only pennies per bottle, i still do a brew of beer and stretch the keg for as long as poss by drinking wine as much as poss but you may not like wine but just a thought

ive done a couple of edme stouts and have never been disappointed, .... :party:

there as cheap as chips, and turn out great if you us unrefined sugars, and short brew em to 4 gallons... ;)

I'd have thought it all depends what style of drink you are after. Brewferm kits are £10 in most places and I have never had a bad drink, they do tend to only make a few litres though, the pils is very nice made up to around 32 pints but has a long conditioning time.

I have a coopers real ale in a cornie, thats not too bad. Bought a John bull cider kit cheap and I'm not too impressed with it. If you do want a cheap thrill make some turbo cider!!

Hopefully you will be back in work soon

just handed in my cv this morning and am waiting on a phone call. so fingers crossed on the job front. not bad for 2 days job hunting makes you wonder how these unemployed youths can say they can't find work. it's there if you want it.
on the beer front I am going to make another coopers stout it was cheap last time and quite drinkable. I've also remembered I have a milestone black pearl kit that has managed to escape being brewed ( I buy my kits in bulk to get free shipping ) so that can go in a fermenter today. Things are looking up .

Good luck finding a job dude. One bit of advice I will give you is to avoid cider kits like the plague, they're awful.

I'd personally add a brew enhancer too, stronger will last longer :p

Latest posts

Back