whats the earliest you have drunk your stout, beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jans1971

Reaction score
whats the earliest you have drunk your stout, i bottled mine 5 days ago and just wondered what it would be like now, anyone drink there home brew early

Patience is needed. It probably won't have conditioned yet it will take about another week for the fiz to develope. However I find a stout takes about a month before it is ready to drink and by the time you have finished drinking the batch you will be thinking how great it is you wished you had left it for two months :lol: :lol: .

I am trying to brew every 2 weeks for the next month to build up stocks so that my beer is conditioned for longer than a month which is the present norm for me.

I would seriously leave it another week preferably another month.

Cheers

AG

i drink a galss when i am bottling. i draw off about half a pint to flush my syphon and that gets drunk.

after about 5 days i check a bottle to see if it has carbonated before i move it to the shed to clear. the 5day old, carbonated beer is much much better than the raw beer.
i then let it clear for a week and try one once its clear. this beer is much much better than the newly carbonated beer.

then i find it hard to not 'sample' a bottle a night. after about a fortnight the beer is really very good and i have drunk almost a quater of the brew. still i have a good load of good beer to come.

i am trying to brew a bit quicker, it has been so cold ferm has been taking ages. i want a good stock of well developed beer to enjoy.

i would say, as long as you dont go mad, 'sample' your brew regularly so you can see how much it improves over time. this is giving me a bit more will power to hold off drinking too much as i know it always tastes better after a few weeks.

About 5 days from pitching :oops:

I had run out of beer in the keg and put a quick batch of basic 1.038 bitter on. Pitched a massive amount of yeast in to 80L . . finished fermentation by day 3, Transferred 20L to a small FV .which I crash cooeld Fined on day 4 . . . kegged and carbonated on day 5. . . . After a couple of days it improved as the carbonic bite from the force carbing had subsided. . . .The remaining beer sat in the FV for 14 days before being cooled, fined and kegged . . . . It was the better tasting beer . . .but the earlier keg was still very drinkable.

:D I usually conduct a quality control session after 5 days or so. This is usually down to me bottling on a sunday and on a friday when home from work I really NEED to see how it's doing.

Keeping the sampling down to one bottle is usually the greatest problem!

Oh I manage to keep drinking / sampling down to the following approximate timetable :!:

The contents of the trial jar after the OG is measured, so thats the first few hours after brewing :grin:
then the contents of the trial jar after measuring for the FG, so thats 7 days (ish) :!:
and every measure after that until bottling :roll:
then another sample when bottling :thumb:
then the first proper bottle as long as 5 days after bottling while left in the warm :idea:
after a further 2 or 3 days before I move them out into 'The Den' for storage and try another tester then :whistle:
hopefully they get to a month before I take to 'serious' drinking :rofl:

all timings are approximate and can (and often do) alter :lol:

I too find a quality control sample is essential in my process... :thumb:

Well a number of them to be fair... :whistle:

thanks everyone i was going to try one tonight but ill leave it till tomorrow night :D and let you know how it was 6 days might make it a bit better :cheers:

tried one last night and it was just ok, really bitter but a nice taste think ill try one more tonight then leave them for 2 or 3 weeks :thumb:

I find it's a good idea to store it in the fridge whilst waiting, the cooler temperature seems to clear the
beer quicker, I bottled a batch of Coopers Stout few weeks ago left in doors for a week then in the garage,
tried a bottle that was in the fridge for further two days and it tasted superb!

Latest posts

Back