Whats your Beer of the Year?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good idea for a thread. My best this year (first year AG brewing) is a recent First Gold Pale ale. I think Flaked Corn adds a subtle flavour that I remember from the 70's.
Batch Size 22.7
OG 1.057 (target was 1.063)
FG 1.012 (target 1.014)
abv 5.9% (target 6.5%)
46 IBU's
5.5kg Marris Otter
0.5 kg Flaked Corn
0.5kg Wheat malt
0.25kg Aromatic malt
0.25kg Crystal 60L
Saf 05
30gram Magnum 60mins
25 grams First Gold 15mins
30 grams First Gold 5 mins
35grams First Gold 0mins

My best beer this year was my first use of the HBC Peco Boiler and Chiller Kit. This came with a grain bag plus hops & yeast to make a Cascade IPA - this is available as an AG kit from HBC also.

Really top notch beer, noticably better that the partial mashes I have been doing for most of the year. My resolution for next year is to sort out my wort chiller attachments properly and get on with doing 5 gallon or 2-3 gallon AG brews.

I have stuck with the PM's because it is actually very easy to handle up to say 2.75kg of grain with a pot from Wilko (effective capacity ~12.5L)
and nylon brewing bag. Then it sort of makes sense to get to 22-23L by adding a one can kit, rather than 11-12L, sticking with just the AG wort. Much easier to cool down in the sink as well, as there is the option of using refridgerated water to top it up.

No prizes for guessing who persuaded me to migrate to the dark side! :thumb:

I think we might be on to something here. Difficult to organise, but not impossible. Do we have any BJCP judges within our ranks? I am in the process of certification - would you guys like to have your brews tasted, tested, ranked?

I think we might be on to something here. Difficult to organise, but not impossible. Do we have any BJCP judges within our ranks? I am in the process of certification - would you guys like to have your brews tasted, tested, ranked?

Send them to me :lol:

Latest posts

Back