WHC dry yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time available not as bricks, I think.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/pro...ts/yeast/?subcat=whc-dry-yeast&v=79cba1185463
From a spot analysis they are all cheaper than the corresponding "corporate" dry strain.

Not sure if this is repackaged (looking at the packaging and technical data sheets, that's my guess); dried and packaged elsewhere; or they have the facilities in-house to dry and package.

But they are cheaper than the competitors, excepting CML (but possibly a bigger range).

Leave me some.

Yeah it’s bricks that are broken up and repackaged. The dry yeast is pretty stable these days.

I use most the WHC range. But I’ll be interested to hear what people think of saturated as i dont know if it’s me, but I’m just not a fan of it. .

Yeah it’s bricks that are broken up and repackaged. The dry yeast is pretty stable these days.

I use most the WHC range. But I’ll be interested to hear what people think of saturated as i dont know if it’s me, but I’m just not a fan of it. .
The pictures on maltmiller’s Instagram look like proper commercial packs of Homebrew yeast rather than repackaged:

I noticed that they have more lager strains than cml do. Strange that they went for Einstein though who famously renounced German citizenship and is also a protected trademark if you believe Wikipedia.

CML sell liquid whc yeast so i suppose they might also stock these eventually?

The pictures on maltmiller’s Instagram look like proper commercial packs of Homebrew yeast rather than repackaged:

Interesting as I’ve not seen those size packs come up on the B2B website I use for them. I see they may also be doing wet pitches too.

General feeling is they are very reasonably priced but the QA can vary a bit and you can get tiny amounts of variability in attenuation. But a good range of yeasts.

I’m still not convinced about saturated tho.

I’m rather happy to see they have the Banana Split available as a dry yeast I used the liquid version a whole back and it made a great Weissbier. I know that not all yeasts work well dried but always keen to try.

Strange that they went for Einstein though who famously renounced German citizenship and is also a protected trademark if you believe Wikipedia.
I get the impression that WHC don't worry too much about IP issues, given that arguably Bond is infringing both EON's and White Labs' trademarks (even if they're not registered, but the whole area of "character" trademarks is really messy).

Could this be a similar arrangement to what White Labs look to have done with Lallemand?

Old English looks to have got it's description from asking ChatGPT "What yeast origins are most speculated about on homebrew forums?"

Last edited:
Given that all modern saison yeast originate in 3 (or arguably 2) sources, don't expect a "new" saison yeast from any manufacturer to be terribly different to existing ones.
I normally use liquid yeast. Wyeast/WLP french Saison. I haven't brewed now in over 3 months, I had built up a nice supply in the brew fridge. Sadly they are all gone now, so I am going to try dry yeast again

Not used it. What don't you like about it? The MM description compares it to Verdant IPA yeast. Which I do like.

IMG_20230928_121703923.jpg
Just arrived, I will report back when I get back brewing.

I've used Bond and LAX a few times.
Very good yeast's.

My Farmhouse vibes finished bubbling around 2 days ago.
It tastes nice from the trial jar.

My local brew club buys directly from the company.
Looking forward to trying them. Probably a Saison up first with the farmhouse vibes yeast.

Back