WHC dry yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked my Saison. It's down to 1.006 using farm house vibes. Probably keg it tomorrow. Aroma has a lot of clove, no temp control so it fermented at the lower end of the spectrum. I will report back when it's ready to drink

I just checked my Saison. It's down to 1.006 using farm house vibes. Probably keg it tomorrow. Aroma has a lot of clove, no temp control so it fermented at the lower end of the spectrum. I will report back when it's ready to drink
I bottled my saison on Wednesday. Was 1006 also. Flavour reminds me of a wheat beer

The brewery I work for switched from verdant to saturated. It sucks. It took far longer, lacks the fruity contribution and is a poor flocculator. And no, yeast in suspension is not the basis for good haze! So we switched back to Verdant, which we won gold at BeerX with, in our hazy. All but our lager use Verdant.

If you're thinking of using saturated, use Verdant instead, unless you're really committed to yeast bite and long lead times.

TM have been doing 3 for 2 on these the last couple of weeks. I picked up 2 Apres Ski for a Helles (I would usually use Diamond) and an old English for my first ever Imperial Stout.

I've used Bond and LAX a few times.
Very good yeast's.

My Farmhouse vibes finished bubbling around 2 days ago.
It tastes nice from the trial jar.

My local brew club buys directly from the company.
I’ve got a double IPA in the fermenter, used two packs of LAX. Went to dry hop today, after 12 days fermentation and it still looks like it’s still fermenting, haven’t taken a gravity reading yet but was curious on what people’s experience is

I’ve got a double IPA in the fermenter, used two packs of LAX. Went to dry hop today, after 12 days fermentation and it still looks like it’s still fermenting, haven’t taken a gravity reading yet but was curious on what people’s experience is
All yeast performance will depend on the beer, the malt bill, mash temp, ferm temp.

Currently got a 8% DIPA with 40g of LAX, 20L batch, 7.3kg malt and 500g of Dextrose, mashed at 69c, took 2 weeks to get to 1.020 at 19c due to being a big beer, first dry hop was done at 20c and I used the hop creep to reinvigorate the yeast and get it down to 1.012 and gave the yeast time to clean up again over a week by raising to 22c, dropped temp to 14c added my final dry hop and then slowly moved the temp down 2c per day so as not to stress the yeast and create any off flavours. Will be packaging it this weekend but in all its been a 4 week process which I think is more than fair considering the beer and process.

All yeast performance will depend on the beer, the malt bill, mash temp, ferm temp.

Currently got a 8% DIPA with 40g of LAX, 20L batch, 7.3kg malt and 500g of Dextrose, mashed at 69c, took 2 weeks to get to 1.020 at 19c due to being a big beer, first dry hop was done at 20c and I used the hop creep to reinvigorate the yeast and get it down to 1.012 and gave the yeast time to clean up again over a week by raising to 22c, dropped temp to 14c added my final dry hop and then slowly moved the temp down 2c per day so as not to stress the yeast and create any off flavours. Will be packaging it this weekend but in all it’s been a 4 week process which I think is more than fair considering the beer and process.
That’s interesting, using SO5 or BRY97 or M44 my double IPAs which usually start at 1.075 or thereabouts are finished fermenting at two weeks, reaching somewhere around 1.012. I took a reading today, day 13 and it’s at 1.014, which is the top end of the expected attenuation, 80% I may leave it a few more days and see if it drops more. I mashed at 65°c fermentation at 18°c, I raised to 22°c today. Will leave for a few days then crash.

I have used lax both dried and liquid, was happy with results both times.
That was for pale ales and ipas, never a double ipa

I’m rather happy to see they have the Banana Split available as a dry yeast I used the liquid version a whole back and it made a great Weissbier. I know that not all yeasts work well dried but always keen to try.
I had that on my last delivery and I'm looking to use it in the brew after next.
Another dipa with verdant yeast before then to do.

TM have been doing 3 for 2 on these the last couple of weeks. I picked up 2 Apres Ski for a Helles (I would usually use Diamond) and an old English for my first ever Imperial Stout.
I don't suppose you've used the Apres Ski yet have you? I pitched some in a pils on Saturday and the appearance of the wort in the fermenter is more than a little different to the ale yeasts that I'm used to.

I don't suppose you've used the Apres Ski yet have you? I pitched some in a pils on Saturday and the appearance of the wort in the fermenter is more than a little different to the ale yeasts that I'm used to.
I brewed with it on Saturday, and it kicked off by Sunday evening - looking very similar to ferments from Diamond and 34/70 that I’ve used in previous lagers.

Lager yeasts do look a little different from ale yeasts when they ferment but I wouldn’t necessarily say drastically. I’ll take a photo later when I get home from work.

Thanks. Its finally looking more like I was expecting. The only differences with an ale fermentation being a much thinner head and no obvious signs of movement in the wort (I have a clear fermenter).

I've just take the gravity and its 1039 down from 1050 on Saturday so its heading in the right direction. I think it was just *very* slow to get going, which is hardly surprising seeing as I pitched a single sachet of dry yeast into 42 litres of wort and the temperature has been between 4 and 12 degrees centigrade the whole time

Thanks. Its finally looking more like I was expecting. The only differences with an ale fermentation being a much thinner head and no obvious signs of movement in the wort (I have a clear fermenter).

I've just take the gravity and its 1039 down from 1050 on Saturday so its heading in the right direction. I think it was just *very* slow to get going, which is hardly surprising seeing as I pitched a single sachet of dry yeast into 42 litres of wort and the temperature has been between 4 and 12 degrees centigrade the whole time
Sorry forgot to take a photo last night, here it is:
IMG_6864.jpeg

Find lager krausens to be much slower forming, and generally thinner. It's colder so they work slower.

One of the disadvantages of a transparent fermenter is worrying when a massive krausen hasn't formed after 12 hours.

You will get smaller krausen with bottom fermenting yeasts as all the activity is down below

Latest posts

Back