Wheat beer priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mereside

Reaction score
I have 15 litres of wheat I want to bottle this is my first AG wheat, i looked at Brewers friend calculator and it's saying 158 grams of suger to prime for middle of the road wheat at 20 degrees. I don't want to blow my bottles up or under carb so for the experienced amongst you does this sound about right. I am eager to get this underway thanks Wayne

I usually carb a wheat beer to about 3 volumes, which works out at 300g ish for 23l I think off the top of my head, I'll check my notes when I get home later.
It's about the limit for standard bottles unless you use Belgian bottle which can take a bit more carbonation.

Ah ok, surely they should handle good carbonation (3~vols)
You can google priming rates to double check. There is a handy chart in the Greg Hughes book on this.
It's good to get right as it's the final detail in getting the style bang on.

Thanks for your help Greg Hughes was very similar so gone with it, all bottled now and I had a cheeky drop for testing purposes I think it's going to be very nice, thanks Wayne

Pleasure.
You've got to have a cheeky drop for testing mate, that's brewing on a professional level that is ;-)

I have 15 litres of wheat I want to bottle this is my first AG wheat, i looked at Brewers friend calculator and it's saying 158 grams of suger to prime for middle of the road wheat at 20 degrees. I don't want to blow my bottles up or under carb so for the experienced amongst you does this sound about right. I am eager to get this underway thanks Wayne

I primed mine according to the calculator, I went for the value in the middle (think 4?) and even months later the bottles now are getting worse. I open them in the garden and the swing tops shoot off!

Back