Wherry - Celery Taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polo_Phil

Reaction score
I bottled my Wherry a month ago.
Whilst sampling some over the past week I notice there is an ever so slight taste of celery.

What could cause this and is it likely to get better or worse?

EDIT: Sorry. Meant to post this in beer brewing discussions :whistle:

It could possibly be DMS (Di-Methyl Sulfide) which can occur with a weak boil or if you had the kettle covered while boiling. A strong boil drives off DMS from the wort but if you have a lid on, it condenses with the steam on the bottom of the lid and falls back into the wort. Do either of those apply to your situation?

phettebs, if I'm right, I think Polo_phil has done the Woodforde's Wherry two can kit and there's no boil involved with them.

Sorry Polo_phil, no idea about the celery taste. Some other knowledgeable sages on this site might be able to help, they'll probably ask about how long it's been conditioning for and where and all that sort of stuff... so might be worth putting that info out there?

Thanks guys

Phettebs, andylanc is right it's a Woodforde's Wherry 2 can kit. So there was no fancy stuff.

I bottled it exactly 1 month ago (11/05) after 2 weeks fermenting at 18 degrees. Once bottled it spent 2 weeks inside at roughly the same temp then it was moved to the shed where it has been for just over 2 weeks.

I would leave it another month before trying it again.
It will change a lot before then and some of the unwanted flavours may subside.
6 weeks seems to be around the minimum conditioning time for Wherry.

Oh good point. I tend to always think in terms of AG first. :oops:

Another possibility is the hops. I live in the US so I'm not familiar with the kits available in the UK. Do they come with hops to add or is the wort pre-hopped. If it's not DMS and it's not hops, that's a tough one. Hopefully someone more experienced with kits can help. Good luck!

This kit does not have seperate hops. nor have I added any extra.

I'll take Anthony's advise and (try to) leave it a bit longer! :whistle:

andylanc1975 said:
phettebs, if I'm right, I think Polo_phil has done the Woodforde's Wherry two can kit and there's no boil involved with them.

Sorry Polo_phil, no idea about the celery taste. Some other knowledgeable sages on this site might be able to help, they'll probably ask about how long it's been conditioning for and where and all that sort of stuff... so might be worth putting that info out there?

DMS can be a sign of infection too. With current grains and extracts this is usually the case.

Pearlfisher said:
Brewed a lager kit over 30 years ago which tasted of boiled ham! :?

Oooh what was it called, I like ham and beer :lol: :rofl: :lol: :oops:

Latest posts

Back