which bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynewbrew

Reaction score
Which bottles are the best to use glass or the pet bottles with screw tops. I'm in desperate need of some more. Cant get hold of any locally so been thinking about buying some, came across some PET bottles 40 for just under a tenner which i thought was cheap. Whats your views on this guys?

Cheers

Loads of people get glass ones free from the Pub, I got a load of Coopers PET bottles for my first brews and have been collecting glass ones since.

Which ever is easiest for you to use, I have had no issues with my PET bottles at all :cheers:

Im itching to get my next brew under way lol think i might try those PET bottles. ive tried local pubs but they only seem to mostly have little bottles like stella etc.

Andynewbrew said:
Which bottles are the best to use glass or the pet bottles with screw tops. I'm in desperate need of some more. Cant get hold of any locally so been thinking about buying some, came across some PET bottles 40 for just under a tenner which i thought was cheap. Whats your views on this guys?

Cheers

I use whatever I can get my hands on at the minute and I don't notice any difference really.

Where are you getting 40 PET bottles for a tenner? I've about 200 beers bottled (PET and Glass) at the minute and 2 FVs gonna need bottled in the next few weeks so I'm looking to buy as well.

IOMMick said:
Andynewbrew said:

Cheers

I use whatever I can get my hands on at the minute and I don't notice any difference really.

Where are you getting 40 PET bottles for a tenner? I've about 200 beers bottled (PET and Glass) at the minute and 2 FVs gonna need bottled in the next few weeks so I'm looking to buy as well.

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipme ... asic-p1129

Cheapest i could find. and only £3.45 delivery

Matty is right about clear bottles causing storage issues (need to keep them out of the light). I have just used up 80 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390604935541? ... 1497.l2649 which I thought were reasonable because they have free postage. The problem is they use normal beer caps instead of reusable screw caps.

I'm looking at the Coopers ones now, problem with me is always postage to the Isle of Man.

Oh ye I see what you saying. I don't really know much about those bottles and yes I have a Tesco just round the corner from me.

Maysie said:
Where are you Andy?
If you are anywhere near me (in Suffolk) you are welcome to some of mine.

Appreciate that mate. But I'm in co. Durham lol.

I'll have a look at the Tesco website now. Cheers

I'm pretty new to this homebrewing thing, but I started after my father I law got back into it. He suggested using 2l bottles after using the contents. After a bit of research, we found that most supermarkets do still water in 2l bottles for next to nothing... In my local Sainsburys, it's 17p a bottle. I now just use these, empty the water away and use the bottle for beer. That way, it's about £2 per 5 gallon batch to bottle the beer, the bottle still fits in the fridge and it's quicker than 500ml bottles to fill them up.

Granted, it doesn't look too great, but it's me drinking it indoors so who cares?

Not that I've tested this theory - but I'm assuming if you use 2ltr bottles you probably need to drink the whole bottle in one sitting, or get flat/off beer a few days apart?

For £10 (if you are going to keep them in a dark place) you can get 60 from Lidle/Aldi 500ml green PET bottles containing sparkling water. That is what I used until I built up my stock of glass ones.

Matt

Trucker5685 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-X-500ml-BROWN-GLASS-BEER-CIDER-BOTTLES-HOMEBREW-NEW-/260795014395?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item3cb8981cfb

Have a look at this Andy, I got these myself. Very quick delivery and free delivery :party:

That's nearly a quid a bottle.

You would be better off buying some full of beer from Tesco or wherever is most convenient/cheapest for you. It will cost more but you will get a load of beer for not much more.

Tesco are currently doing 4 for £6 on most of their bottled beers.

So 24 bottles would cost you £36.00, that's £19.50 for the bottles you want and only £16.50 for the beer inside.

Latest posts

Back