Which temperature probes work with ATC800+

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancsSteve

Reaction score
Have an atc800+ to control fermentation fridge but really want to get a pribe into the fv. Have had infection probelms using the 1" stainless probe I got as rubberised housing has too many nooks and crannies for bugs to live in...

Was thinking one of these is the way to go:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true

but would be able to wire that to an ATC800+?

If not anyone got suggestions on something similar that would work?

Steve, I'm not a great fan of those supplied probes either. IIRC they're NTC which is the same as those supplied with the STC1000's.
I had some ss ntc probes made very reasonably, have a look here :thumb:

Replies from Forttex:

The ATC-800+ probe is an NTP type so the PT100 you asked about

[quote:1ykf3xpr](What I want is something like a 9" (minimum) to foot-long sensor like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 3367880b64)

as far as we know, would not be compatible.

I am sorry but we have never tried the ATC-800+ with other probes other that what the manufacturers have supplied us with so we are unable to advise on what else you should try.

Also we have never used them with thermowells so again have no experience on what you could use.[/quote:1ykf3xpr]

And from STS:
Unfortunately the atc800+ will only take a ntc sensor, not a thermocouple. I heave tried to find what ntc sensor they use in the standard stock probes for this item but I couldn't find an answer.

An alternative option would be to use a thermopocket to sheath the standard ntc probe that comes with the unit.
If the stock probe diameter is small enough then somthing like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320744445621 ,may work if you are able to install it into your equipment although the compression fitting end won't be much good due to not using a full stainless steel probe.

I hope the above information helps,

As it's a 6mm head I'm hoping something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermopocket- ... 336wt_1081 would work but not sure if it would work from the lid with some air exposure or would need to be entirely immersed...

As it's a 6mm head I'm hoping something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermopocket- ... 336wt_1081 would work but not sure if it would work from the lid with some air exposure or would need to be entirely immersed...
I'm reading that as putting the 50mm ATC supplied NTC into this sheath. I have no real evidence for the following Steve, but thinking about it I would have thought that the air space inside the sheath would slow reaction times of the probe.

Theres' one easy way to find out if the STC1000 probes work with an ATC, thus giving you the sensor required, and that's to try it. Unfortunately I don't have an ATC800 any more, but I think Aleman might have both, worth a punt to ask him :thumb:

Thnking about it, I may have an 'old' ATC sensor 'knocking about' and could try that with the STC1000, I'll have a look in the garage later and let you know. If I forget pm me :thumb:

The ATC800+ATC800+ probes do work with the STC1000, just checked, the sensor for the STC1000 is a thermistor type NTC (10K / 3435).
If looking to reduce cost I seem to remember someone on Jims making them from stainless chop sticks....I kid you not :thumb:

So just so t'interwebs aren't confusing me you got these:

Vossy1 said:
The replacement STC1000 sensor probes for my conicals arrived today :party:
Very happy with them, work a treat and reasonable price too.
The smaller sensors below are made from 316 stainless sheath, 6mm in diameter, and 200mm long. They cost £13.80 each plus VAT, 150mm long sensors are the same price. The larger sensor is 450mm in length and cost £17 something, can't remember just now :grin:
CIMG5039600x450.jpg

made by southern temperature sensors and they work with STC1000 and also from your testing now work with ATC800+ - so going back to STS with that info would seem to be the way forward...

Yep that's right, my ATC800+ probe works with the STC1000's that I have, and the probes you've pictured were made as thermistor type NTC (10K / 3435).
As I said before I think Tony might have both so well worth pm'ing him, or if you're in the area you could always test one of my probes out on your ATC.

Vossy1 said:
Yep that's right, my ATC800+ probe works with the STC1000's that I have, and the probes you've pictured were made as thermistor type NTC (10K / 3435).
As I said before I think Tony might have both so well worth pm'ing him, or if you're in the area you could always test one of my probes out on your ATC.

Hmmm - might be an idea, I got my brewery off of him and he's no so far away from here. Will PM him as you suggest!

I'd also be interested to know how well the custom-made sensors work with the ATC800+ as I have one and would like to change from the supplied sensor. Keep us posted. Cheers

lancsSteve said:
Vossy1 said:
I think Tony might have both so well worth pm'ing him
Hmmm - might be an idea, I got my brewery off of him and he's no so far away from here. Will PM him as you suggest!
Actually I Did have an ATC . . . but parted company with it when I got my TC-10 (smaller is better in this case :D) So I'm not going to be able to help I'm afraid.

Been reading this and similar threads with interest recently as I'm going to set up a fermenting fridge for the first time, as soon as I can buy a fridge. Getting confused as to what to buy. What is the best model and different models seem to have different packages so would appreciate any advice. Not looking for cheapest option and unless I win tomorrows lottery don't want to spend on anything unnecessary.

dennisking said:
Been reading this and similar threads with interest recently as I'm going to set up a fermenting fridge for the first time, as soon as I can buy a fridge. Getting confused as to what to buy. What is the best model and different models seem to have different packages so would appreciate any advice. Not looking for cheapest option and unless I win tomorrows lottery don't want to spend on anything unnecessary.

Hi Dennis, sorry I didn't see this post sooner! Hopefully you are satisfied with your new kit.

Tim

Cedaronics said:
dennisking said:
Hi Dennis, sorry I didn't see this post sooner! Hopefully you are satisfied with your new kit.

Tim

Thanks Tim got it up and running today and all seems well. The translation from Chinese in the instructions leave a lot to be desired, not sure what the 2 settings, F3 compressor delay time and F4 temperature calibration value are for so I've left them on the factory settings.

Hi Dennis

Compressor delay is to protect your fridge's compressor - I think the factory setting is 3 minutes, isn't it? Should be in that table, IIRC.

The calibration ... leave alone for the time being unless you begin to suspect that the instrument is out. I've never touched F4 myself, but others here might have.

Glad it got there ok.

Tim

Hi All

I've just connected my STC1000 probe to my older ATC800 (not a ATC800+) and it appears to work OK. Only tested at room temp as its far too cold to work in the garage tonight (got man flu ;) ). Now need to order a couple of SS probes from southern temperature sensors.

cheers
Mark

Latest posts

Back