Which yeast for wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willycoolj

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys
I want to do a Wilkos's wheat beer but I don't want to use the kit yeast, which yeast is best, fermentis, mangroves or danstar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys
I want to do a Wilkos's wheat beer but I don't want to use the kit yeast, which yeast is best, fermentis, mangroves or danstar

ce82634615f909b62dba15129c0bb9a3.jpg
68bd93aa5adf6bc6ecd38a5b461d064e.jpg
8ee41d6835d2495e8b12f08709d23c0d.jpg
d2d487ea2a2b429d5efd67c1f08ee448.jpg
9e60634fb9ff71ae2206e48a2d9dd273.jpg

Not tried the others, but I recently did a dunkelweizen with wb 06 and that turned out great, ferment at the top end for a little banana 🍌

I just found this yeast on eBay
10c4ad4c3ade4d3e86319f0ba8c207a5.jpg

KristallWeizen – Wheat Beer
A top-fermenting wheat beer yeast which imparts banana and clove esters, balanced with spiced aromas. This yeast produces a silky mouth-feel and rich body. And as its name suggests, it ferments out clear!!! So whether you like it cloudy of clear this yeast is great in achieving that Hefe/Weissbier/Weizen feel. Your brew will ferment quite nicely between 15c to 28c, but it’s designed to ferment at room temp, or a tad higher to achieve a more intense brew

I've used both Mangrove yeasts and the 06 depending on what I was aiming for. If you're going for a Belgian Wit and using Coriander and Orange then the M21 is the obvious choice but if you are aiming for a German type Hefe then either the MJ M20 or Safale 06 would be the choice. Now to contradict myself I have a wheat beer fermenting which has Coriander and Orange but I used the 06. I guess what I'm saying is try what you think will suit the type of beer you're aiming for, as long as the yeasts suit your chosen type and fermenting temps I'm sure you wont be disappointed with the results, good luck, enjoy your brew day. I should add though that I'm usually the one seeking out advice rather than giving my opinion, I'm still a real beginner but I do like my wheat beers. :)

I will be using the following ingredients,
1.5kg Wilkos wheat kit
500g medium spray malt
454g honey
200g dextrose
100g malto-dextrin

A nice easy session wheat beer

Have decided to do the Wilkos wheat beer kit to 10 litres with the crossmyloof brewery kristallweizen yeast
433ad5d6960179c86ae7ed39ccc86354.jpg

Ha ha, we used to have a video shop that sold off the ex rentals when they finished with them, we got loads lol and they all work fine [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did one can with Wilko yeast and one can with MJ 20 yeast. MJ20 produced a really refreshing fruity beer. Wilko's was just average. The extra expense is definitely worth it.

That's why I did 1 can at 10litres and did the crossmyloof brewery kristallweizen yeast ,see how it comes out

I would recommend M20. I used it in my January competition entry. It was a Belgian Rye IPA. Despite M20 being a Bavarian yeast it's flavour profile is very similar to that of Belgian strains. Nice hints of banana, clove and spice.

My favourite yeast strain so far.

Back