Whirlpool Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynx Brewery

Reaction score
My Punk IPA recipe calls for some whirlpool hop additions.

What temperature should I reduce the wort to after the boil to add these hops?

You are very correct but as its a Punk clone...which I did hint at why I added the information.
After all..for us indulging in the clone wars its vital to get everything exactly right then when the beer turns out absolutely nothing like what we're trying to achieve its obviously someone else's fault.

I go around 75°C, which is below the temperature where SMM is converted to DMS (c82°C). Or even lower with some hops like Amarillo, IIRC ones high in orange flavours from myrcene, which volatiles around 65°c.
Thats good to know. I never whirlpool less than 70-75 and go heavy.This could explain the strong orange flavour a few of my IPAs have had.

How long do you whirlpool for?
20-40 min usually though going for 30 today. The isomerisation conversion rate of hops at this temperature is a lot lot slower than during the boil. My main reason for using this temperature is that it’s the one quoted in just about all the recipe texts I’ve seen.

Back