Wilkinson's Golden Ale 2 Can Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCase

Reaction score
These have come down in price to 16 quid, which is too good to miss for a two can kit. I'm not hoping for great things, more of a base for tinkering. I've done it as per instructions, resisting the urge to add extra dextrose to up the ABV from 4%. Then again the last wilkos kit I did attenuated right to 1.006 from 1.042, giving me 4.8%. This one has also come out at 1.042 at 23 litres so I'm hoping for a similar performance.

Hi DC,

I started one of these kits on Tuesday, made up to 23L and got 1043 too so they're consistent at least.

Initial fermentation was rapid, pushing up against the lid but it's eased off a lot now. I was surprised to see the kit instructions mention it would be fermented out in four days, perhaps that's why they recon it'll be 4.0% rather than any higher?

Bogwitch said:
Hi DC,

I started one of these kits on Tuesday, made up to 23L and got 1043 too so they're consistent at least.

Initial fermentation was rapid, pushing up against the lid but it's eased off a lot now. I was surprised to see the kit instructions mention it would be fermented out in four days, perhaps that's why they recon it'll be 4.0% rather than any higher?

I'm going to leave it a week before I do another reading but I reckon I might get a little higher than 4%, if not then never mind. I tend barrel my session beers, anyway and bottle premium and high alcohol kits because I tend to condition them longer.

I was in wilkos yesterday and got a brewmaker yorkshire bitter 2 can kit for £15. Bargain at that price, think im gonna try the wilkos aswell while there cheap

I'm interested to see how this golden ale kit turns out as wife suggested that next.

Did a quick sample today, SG of 1022 so a way to go yet.

Very cloudy, as expected but has a great taste to it already, it can only get better from here! :D

I'll give mine a test tomorrow. I'm fermenting it a little cooler than usual, about 18 degrees, instead of the 21-22 degrees I do it normally, so it might take a little longer. I'm hoping the cooler temperature and extra patience will give me a cleaner tasting beer at the end.

I bottled one of these a couple of weekends ago. After 14 days in the FV it ended up at 1.020, which seemed a bit odd until I realised that in my half-awake state I'd measured it *after* batch priming. Not sure that would have added a whole 10 points so maybe there was something else amiss there.

Anyway, the sample tasted good and none of the bottles have exploded yet. Also, the smells from the airlock were the best of any of the kits I've done. So I'm looking forward to cracking open a first tester this weekend.

I did a gravity test earlier and its at 1.012 so 4% ABV already. I thought it had stopped but it started bubbling again when it came downstairs and when I took the lid off there was still yeast floating and some signs of activity. I'm going to leave it til the weekend and likely keg it then. I'm got a good feeling about this one, it smelled amazing when I took the lid off.

Just measured mine again and I'm disappointed to see it at 1020. I'm running it at about 17C so it might be a bit low so I've opened my brewing cupboard and hopefully it'll pick up again.

Smells fantastic and tastes pretty good, too! (no point chucking away the samples!)

Just started on me brewing odyssey and selected this as it seemed easier for a complete novice. I started it off 4 days ago in a fermenting barrel with no airlock. Sealed the lid tight and it really seemed to be fermenting away and the lid ended up still sealed but with a large collection of gas underneath which bowed it out and made it solid to the touch.

I popped the lid slightly to let the gas out but now the fermentation seems to have stopped. The instructions say to leave for 4-6 days but I can't believe it will have fermented that quickly? I'm also worried about contamination as I have left the lid very slightly open to let any gas escape.

Unfortunately being a bit thick I didn't realise I would need hydrometer etc so haven't taken any SG readings.

My plan is to leave for approx 10 days, add some finings, give it a few more days then syphon into the keg. Does this sound about right or have I messed it up from the start?

Apologies for the essay - any advice gratefully received!

Ok first off calm down, the bulging is the co2 pushing up the lid, it also forms a layer, as it's heavier than air, protecting your brew. Now the instructions to your brew should have told you to leave the lid slightly open in any case.
It may look like the fermentation has stopped but it won't have done. I leave my beers two weeks in the fermenting bucket, which gives it a chance to finish fermenting and to start to clear. I have never, after a hundred kits or so used finings. Just syphon it into your keg with the correct amount of sugar (for this kind of ale maybe 110 grams) and leave for a week in a warm dark place for a week, then a cool dark place for a month to clear. The month to clear also improves the flavour. After that enjoy. It has to be said, in time of need I have started drinking mine after a matter of days and I ain't dead yet.....

Last edited:
Wise words - thanks.

siphoned it off into the keg yesterday and was quite surprised by how much lighter it looked, tasted fine too but I did find it hard to judge how strong it might be.

Will leave it now but surely tempted to have a few more tasters..............

Nice one, it's a nice beer and only gets better with age.
I must admit when it comes to hydrometers, half the time I don't bother. I have no interest in how strong it is just the taste. Add that to the fact that my beers stay in the fermenting bucket for 3 weeks, I know they are fully fermented. If indeed you do wish to know and you want it in a keg as soon as it's done, you will need one. I used to just leave the hydrometer in the bucket from start to finish as it's sanitised and I don't see any point draining off samples etc when you can just see the reading by popping the lid a bit. Each to their own I guess.

I got one at that price, hopefully it will be good! I have read up and it appears it may need 500g of enhancer to make it just right!

It will and table sugar will do just as well for a kit beer, IME.

Beer enhancers are great for 1 can kits and make them easily better than tinnie beer. A two can kit will make you 25L of really good beer and the sugar boosts the ABV without ruining the balance too much.

£12.75 is an offer that makes a 2 can brew the same price as a watery 1 can. No Brainer for me.

Get out there and buy 'em up! Except of course in the Manc Arndale.
:cheers:

Back