Wilko Cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will12283

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have just started the wilko cerveza and I'm interested to see what it's like and to compare it to the coppers cerveza. It will be interesting to see the differences and similarities between the two.
Need to do this one after the wife drank most of my coopers stash and at £10 with a free bag of sugar couldn't say no.

Tell me a about it lol. When I said about it starting brewing again she wasn't to happy, but now she can't get enough. She even wanted to help me do my DJ of TC today :) I think I'm winning her over.

I started one of these off today.. Switched half of the sugar for light dme and brewed a little short at 21litres... First impressions the brew looks a bit darker than I was expecting in the FV.. Smelled great while the can was sat in hot water.. Im hoping this turns out well.. Will be trying to keep this between 18-20°C as the kit describes but kitchen going anywhere between 16- 22°C at moment

My front room stays about 16-20 so not to bad there. I was tempted to use half light dme but decided to just stick to the dextrose. I thought it looked a bit darker as well but will see how it looks in the end, and most important is the taste.

It's fermenting away quite happily sat next to the TC I started yesterday as well.
Looks like it might be a busy Christmas/new year of drinking lol

Any updates on these cervea's? Will be starting one tomorrow hopefully. Not sure whether to use s-28 yeast and granulated sugar (all I have) or stick to the normal yeast and save the better stuff for when I can try with some DME. Still new to this so trying to learn quickly! Cheers, mark.

Can complain about this kit, taste and looks just as good as the coopers. Only thing I would change would be to use DME rather than dextrose. I would keep the yeast for the DME and just use the kit stuff for now. Will be making this one against some point, but had a coppers cerveza for Christmas so that's and the coopers English bitter are my next two brews.
Shows how nice a kit this is when there are only half the bottles left and we only started drinking it on Christmas Eve.

Ah brilliant, thanks for the heads up. I will do just that, I'll try this to 20litres and normal yeast etc, see what happens.

Thanks,
Mark.

just had a try of this for the first time, made to 20 litres with the free bag of brewing sugar, dry hopped with 20g of EKG its bloody decent for a tenner.I can't really detect much hop aroma. its cleared very well and pours with a bright white head.
I tried it at room temp from the cornie which I filled on 22-12-12, gassed up to 20psi, its very drinkable, if its chilled and a wee slice of lime in it, it will be tremendous. you can tell its a kit brew but it doesn't have the twang that a coopers kit has, it tastes a tad wattery but its not unpleasant,probably one of the best kit brews I've done to be honest, this will be nice in the kegerator chilled and won't last very long. It kicks the coopers mexican cerveza square in the nuts IMO!

I will be trying my next batch Saturday hopefully. I have bought some light and some extra light spray malt (1kg each). Can you explain which would be best to use and why for the coopers kit I have? I'm not sure if the garage will be cool enough to use the lager yeast so I might just use the supplied yeast again. That was I can almost directly compare the white sugar to the DME and see the difference.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to this and very keen to get some good results as I learn how to make it better!

Cheers, Mark.

Norv said:
I will be trying my next batch Saturday hopefully. I have bought some light and some extra light spray malt (1kg each). Can you explain which would be best to use and why for the coopers kit I have? I'm not sure if the garage will be cool enough to use the lager yeast so I might just use the supplied yeast again. That was I can almost directly compare the white sugar to the DME and see the difference.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to this and very keen to get some good results as I learn how to make it better!

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark, hows it going mate? read your post a few times and not sure what you mean sorry. do you have a wilkos or coopers cerveza? I would imagine 1KG extra light DME would work very well with both, brewed short to a max 19 LTR, although brewing with sugar, as I have done produces some decent results. although its a cerveza both the wilkos and coopers kits probably come with ale yeasts so probs best kept at room temp of 17-22 degrees, i think the fermentation will just stall if you stick it in the garage mate.
don't worry about asking questions its what we are all here for.
cheers mate
Abey. :cheers:

Hi Abey,

It's going well so far. Sorry to confuse you! I wasn't at all clear iny last message!

I bought some s-28 lager yeast a while back, my post a few days back was to ask if it was worth using that yeast with sugar as I intended on buying some DME to use instead.

For Xmas I got one coopers cerveza and one Wilko kit. The Wilko kit has been fermenting for a week tomorrow, made to 20l OG 1038. I will rack it off for another week before batch prong an bottling. I want to get some stock up together so will be starting the coopers kit in the first FV for a week or so before doing the same.

I wasn't sure whether to use light, extra light or a mix of both DME for the cerveza and whether to use the lager yeast and put it in the garage toake a better cerveza.

So I guess I'm asking what the light and extra light DME are suited best for? Also would you use a lager yeast in the garage with no temp control or the ale yeast indoors for a cerveza made with DME which I will brew short to 19l as suggested.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Mark.

to be honest if using a coopers kit id stick with the kit yeast, i dont think its worth using a lager yeast on a kit, you can consider using the lager yeast on an ag brew for example but i dont think its worth the hassle on a kit brew unless you are controlling the temp which is highly unlikely, and most likely a waste of time on a kit, there isnt any difference on light or extra light dme to be honest,extra lihgt, light or medium of light-ish beers and dark and extra dark on darker coloured beers. stick with the ale yeast indoors is my best advice

I got 4 lager kits for christmas. I normally do ales.
I got wilko and coopers cerveza, geordie lager and wilko pilsner.
Some one recommended to me to use the saflager yeast instead of the kit yeast. So dont you think it makes much of a difference? ive just got an fv fridge to try out aswell.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back