Wilko Dark Velvet Stout experiment with Jaggery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert_

Reaction score
So yesterday I kicked off a Wilko stout with;

520g Jaggery, 880g golden syrup, 420g treacle.

So 1820g added fermentables plus 1.5kg kit makes for 3320g fermentables. I brewed to 23l and got an SG of 1.045. This was lower than the calculator suggested - is this a result of the Jaggery, the syrup or just watery Wilko beer kits?

Anyway, the Jaggery was reduced in boiling water with the syrup and the treacle, then added in the FV with the wort and given a good old mix up. The Wilko stout doesn't foam up anything like the Coopers kit.

The smell is very very rich and buttery. I was hoping that the jaggery would add some sweetness and toffee flavours. Hopefully the cloying aroma subsides and leaves behind something nice.

That is all.

If it helps your calculations, jaggery is only about 70% sugar (and is probably pretty variably around that number). The rest is moisture, ash and various other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery

(Good choice, BTW - I love the flavour of jaggery.)

Thanks, that makes sense now. Have you brewed with Jaggery or just eaten it? It's really nice to bite a chunk from the block! The sickly smell is going away by the day and leaving behind a "creamy" aroma. Which is nice!

Nope, I've not tried it for brewing (though it's on my todo list now you've thought of it :) )

I do a fair bit of Indian cooking, which is why it's in my cupboard. It's usually in such small quantities in curries that is probably makes no difference (compared to normal sugar)... I think I only really use it because I love the smell when I open the box :)

Be sure to let us know how that stout turns out.

Latest posts

Back