Wilko Gervin,Gervin Ale,Nottingham, CML Midland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
My go to genetic ale yeast used to be Wilko Gervin...cheap,reliable and stuck like stuff to blankets!
I've tried numerous brews with CML Midland..the beer is fine but I'm finding the floc different...it just doesn't stick as well in the bottle no matter how long.
Anyone tried the others or what's another to try?
Thanks
Clint

I use(d) muntons premium gold ale yeast, but price is creeping up & it wasn't available on my last restock. Might have to go online to CML if it's not in stock on my next ingredient run.

I use Notty with with windsor and BE256, for that very characteristic. Bottles and kegs need a really good blast out to remove it.

AEB Fermoale AY3 is worth trying. Geterbrewed stock it.

Last edited:
Every time I use Gervin, Midland or Lal Nottingham, my fermentation stinks. Not just a little stink but a proper parp in the lift stink. I get this every time, but I don't get it with any other yeast. Must be something on the water. Often the yeast will clean itself up in the bottle, but it takes months. Needless to say, I've stopped using it.
I'm experimenting with using MJ M54 for bitters. That sticks nicely. I also liked CML Ale, but I can't remember how well it compacts.

Yes Clint CML4 and 5 are us04 and 5 or close enough, both are very good in fact everything CML is very good
Off topic but have CML made a Philly Sour equivalent?
Love how convenient CML is with free delivery etc.

EDIT - I just checked and Yes, yes they do. Sour 3.5

I used to use Gervin, the trub used to remind me of either a coral reef or a big brain. Got a picture somewhere.

I’ve always thought it was or was related to Notty ?

Found it...

GV12.jpg

Off topic but have CML made a Philly Sour equivalent?
Just to be clear - CML don't make anything, they just repack yeast bought in from other sources. Even White Labs don't make dry yeast inhouse, they send it out to Lallemand for drying.

I'd assume the CML sour is the AEB one, repacked :
https://www.aeb-group.com/uk/fermo-brew-acid-10604
https://www.geterbrewed.com/aeb-geb-acid-house-tank-sour-500g/

Assuming it works pretty similarly to Philly Sour, you should have a look through this HBT thread and in particular follow the links to Bryan Heit's blog about Philly Sour - it's very sensitive to pitch rate, and likes more oxygen than most.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...xperience-to-share.682096/page-7#post-9085562

I use Notty with with windsor and BE256, for that very characteristic. Bottles and kegs need a really good blast out to remove it.

AEB Fermoale AY3 is worth trying. Geterbrewed stock it.
Do you pitch Windsor first then notts x days into fermentation?

Planning on doing this with my next brew because Windsor just isn’t attenuating

Do you pitch Windsor first then notts x days into fermentation?

Planning on doing this with my next brew because Windsor just isn’t attenuating
No it's a mix of 2xWindsor, 1xNotty and 1xBE256 all pitched at the same time. I'm roughly trying to replicate a mixed strain house yeast without hassle of cropping and risk of drift.

If you are after the character of Windsor with better attenuation, you may get better mileage from your plan to pitch sequentially.

Latest posts

Back