Wilko's wine finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ive got some WOW wine that is ready for racking have got CT, Stabiliser and some wilko's finings A and B but ive only got a DJ full of WOW and the finings say there is enough for 23 litres!! How much shall i use and can i keep the rest to use at a later date or will it need throwing away

Absolutely no idea on the Wilko finnings, so can't help there.

But if you can, order some Kwick Clear finnings online. Cheap, and clears the wines great, and lasts for a long time!

Hi Samnorfolk :thumb:

I'm due to finish my Wilco's Chardonnay kit next week so will let you know what's in the kit volume wise as it's a 6 bottle DJ blooping away at present. That should give you an idea. I made the same 'mistake' for my first batch of WOW planned for this weekend and have the sachets A and B for the same amount DOH! :wha:

Hope that may help, shame to waste some though and I also don't have a huge FV, just DJ's and half DJ's...

If you have any other wines which might be ready for clearing soon, then you could try to split those finings and maybe use around one third of each part.

How you would measure it or store the remainder is entirely down to you.

Unless you're clearing a larger volume, or a few singles at the same time, those sachet finings aren't particularly cost effective.

Yeah its my first time doing this so didnt even realise you can get powdered form, will be purchasing some v.soon though.
In regards to the sachets i have i guess i will use as you say maybe a third on the DJ that is ready, i do have another that will be ready soon so could possibly wait for that as well

I had the same issue the other week. in the end I just jumped in and added 2 tea spoons per gallon, stuck what was left in the fridge then used it again the next day on another wine. Not sure if this is the correct way but it worked for me, beautifully clear wine at the end of it.
Wouldn't imagine an open sachet would keep for too long though as it contains crustacean.

i had some WOW ready for clearing but no finings so this time wss left to nature to clear so i stuck it out in my shed and it has cleared beautifully within 2 weeks!!

Used the Wilko's stuff about 2 weeks ago on a cloudy apple wine.
1 DJ and the whole 2 part sachet.
Followed the instructions and hell did it clear the wine, stuff literally dropped out in front of your eyes. I had expected it to slowly clear not drop to the bottom in 3 minutes.
The sediment was a bit odd in colour, but the wine was clear.
Left it a few days and racked and filtered.

At £1 a shot I will use it again on the next lot that needs clearing.

to be fair i used the wilkos finings on a DJ i had well half of each sachet and it cleared really quickly... Kept what was left in the fridge for a week, used it on another DJ and it also cleared pretty quick as well!

Kirk said:
At £1 a shot I will use it again on the next lot that needs clearing.
:shock: Hell's teeth! If you've got a proper home brew shop take a look for Ritchie's Kwik Clear. I pay £3.15 for the larger pack which claims to treat 135 to 270 litres and I use a dosage in the middle of that range, i.e. 200 litres or 45 gallons, which is 7p a shot.

Online prices will be higher if you've got postage to pay, but even so it has got to work out significantly cheaper than those Young's sachets, and it keeps quite a while if you store it cool, but not cold.

Not really feasible.

Nearest shop is a trip of 25 miles each way, possibly a little more, half is small roads so not even an economical drive either a fair bit of the time. It is just above the M25 that is 22 miles from me straight down the A1, but the homebrew is off the A10 so I have an 8 mile cross country trip on a small winding road and then head south down the A10, then through 2 towns.

Also not that big a homebrew shop and I suspect that will not stock the stuff you mention.

For a bit of exercise I can walk to the nearest Wilko's and just pick one up when needed. This is also the first time I have had to add anything to clear a DJ. Had some that have taken time to clear this was one that simply looked like clearing was not going to happen by itself.

Means these days that anything from the homebrew shop has a starting cost of £7 before I get anything.

Really just is not worth the hassle of not simply picking one up at Wilko's if and when I need it for the amount I do.

I quite agree, you have to set fuel costs or postage charges against size of order, range of purchases and volume of production. If you can walk to Wilko for your occasional supplies that sounds ideal to me.

I make quite a lot and am fortunate that it takes me about an hour and costs me £4 in diesel for the round trip to visit a fairly local indoor market where I can easily save more than that on a six month supply of finings, yeast, nutrients, stabiliser and acids.

Latest posts

Back